Astra SRI vibrations at 2500 RPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought an 02 Astra SRI. Nice car, however, now I'm a bit more tuned into it's noises etc I've noticed that at 2500 - 2750 RPM in any gear there is a slight vibration through the steering wheel and accelerator pedal. Didn't notice it on the test drive as I took it for a shake down and went straight through this rev range when I booted it :). It's done nearly 61000 miles.

Am wondering if this is the start of something shaking itself to bits in the transmission ?

Any help / pointers on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Howard

Sponsored Links
Its likely to be a duff tyre.
If you do a diagonal swap with the tyres (n/s/f to o/s/r and o/s/f to n/s/r) and the vibration goes, then you've found the problem

Picking up on what ^neo^ said, i once had a deformed tyre where the tread litterally parted company causing bad vibration :eek: Another poss cause; Engine mounts, wheel balance, dodgy leads causing engine to run on 3 pots intermitantly ;)

if it was a tyre it would happen at the same road speed. As it happens at the same engine speed regardless of road speed I would think it's an engine problem.Maybe a missfiring cylinder or a sticky valve I'm no expert but that's my opinion. Someone will now shoot me down in flames

Sponsored Links
My vibration was not felt around town, only when i got on a motorway or fast A road. ;)

I had a carlton and that had a lumpy tyre - would feel the juddering at about 70mph - then the big end went - then the car went in a skip..

I might stick it in a garage and see what they say - slightly concerned that it'll be a chin scratching exercise then a sharp intake of breath and a number with a lot of 0's on the end to fix the problem.

Sponsored Links
Back