Vibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Had a new heating IDEAL LOGIC 30 combi system installed to heat not only my new timber framed extension, but also the "old" part of the house, each part of the building having 6 radiators. The installation was by the same Company who did the original heating system 30 years ago ( no problems with this part ).
My initial problem was with the wireless controller ( which is a SALUS RT500RF ) which has proved difficult for me to programme BUT, now that we are occupying the new build ( since 12 December 2015 ), the noise from the pipework is driving me crazy !!!! It wakes me very often during the night, and the expansion and contraction noises goes on for long periods of time as the boiler fires up and switches off with the signals from the controller - you can probably imagine the noise seems much worse when the house is quiet at 3 o'clock in the morning !!!!

I know that metal piping will expand and contract, but what is causing the noise from the pipework - it sounds like a loud "dripping" noise ( checked, but no leaks ) which happens both during expansion AND contraction, during both day and night. What will be required to stop it ??

Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pipework has been fitted too tightly to the timber frame. Only option is to loosen it off.

Have you been able to pinpoint the place/s it's emanating from?
If you can do this and access those areas then you may be able to slip some foam or cloth lagging between the pipe and the surface/s it's rubbing against. If really tight, you could try using and empty silicone/caulk tube, cut into rings and slip that in between!
If it's been drilled and fed through studs and noggings with holes that are too small, then there's not much you can do at those locations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back