Victim of dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I go into any detail, I would like to hear from experienced tilers please.

I employed a trader to install a new bathroom. I paid for tiles and materials. The quote was for labour only.

There has been problems with tiles since fitting. I have photographed what was/wasn't behind the tiles which are 40cm x 60cm.

Please can anyone with experience share your thoughts.

The entire bathroom has been 'dot and dabbed'. Here are the photographs.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
Absolute crap.
Tiles should be put onto a full solid bed of adhesive.
If not, they tend to fall off rather easily.

Unfortunately the remedy here is to remove the whole lot and start again.

The preparation for a good jobs starts with what your tiling on to, sometimes you have to remove everything and go back to brick and line the walls again. It depends on the quality of the finish you want, how long you're going to live with and your budget.

If you wanting to live with for several years get a good job done, but don't expect a good job to be cheap ...a good job takes time.

Rip it out and start again. It will shed water till your downstairs becomes a water feature. Hope you didn't pay him for that garbage. You will also have 0 warranty now from suppliers as if anything ever goes wrong they will blame the fitter who will of long ridden his horse off into the sunset like the cowboy he is.

Sponsored Links
Interesting that you said a trader did it, and not a tiler, but oddly enough, he seems to have achieved a flat finish, so he's got some experience - just not sure what.

Okay, now go into the details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back