Victorian floor remedial work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Currently renovating a Victorian terrace house.
It has had a DPM laid in the past with a concrete slab and asphalt topper, but the section at the bottom of the stairs was never done. I am presuming this due to a lack of access. All the wood has completely rotted out so it has all been removed and I am left with the original York stone slabs. Both wall are external as this is end of terrace.

is it sufficient to DPM and concrete over? Or do I need to check what is hiding below the stone?

any suggestions as this is a bit beyond my knowledge.

Attachments

• 48F1CD25-F0DB-4BB6-B5B8-3E2401702753.jpeg
    48F1CD25-F0DB-4BB6-B5B8-3E2401702753.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 0903FA1C-9758-4FAC-9973-3303A4E864B9.jpeg
    0903FA1C-9758-4FAC-9973-3303A4E864B9.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
There is a bit of work whichever floor you put back in.

you could do suspended wooden joist floor, or solid concrete.

With concrete, you would be better removing all the old stuff, and start again. But you should really put some insulation in there too, as uninsulated concrete floors are cold as anything. You’d also need to put a dpm layer in, to keep the damp at bay.

What height have you to work with from ground level to top of floor level?

Sponsored Links
I have just annotated the pic, there were originally 3 joists, perhaps 2x8's marked in red, with floorboards at 90 degrees and the end of the joists covered with a 7 inch skirting and a bullnose step to form the turn (first step) onto the staircase.

The whole area is only 3' x 3' max. the old construction was just laid on the york stone so has rotted from the ground up and literally was able to pull it out by hand (almost)

once patched up I was considering attaching hangers to the wall to hold the joist off the floor in the opposite direction than they were and sit the other ends on to the concrete slab you can see peeking out from under the stairs to the top of the picture.

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 48
In principle, you can lay a DPM and new slab over the existing as long as it's sound - firm and relatively smooth.

Any DPM should be tucked into the wall DPC to avoid moisture creeping around the new DPM.

If you replace in timber and there is no ventilation, then there is risk of rot. However treated timber may last many years

I would probably start with a block of insulation like kingspan/celotex glued to the floor (expanding foam) and then fit my timber floor on top.

replace like for like. treated timber frame most of which would be suspended off the stone. Anything in contact with the floor lay on a dpc. laying timber on insulation is a complete waste of time and money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back