Victorian floor restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a fairly run-of-the-mill Victorian terrace and recently uncovered an original (patterned) tiled floor in my hall, and a terracotta tile floor in my kitchen. Both have some damage - in the hall where a section was dug up to install a central heating pipe (damage about 40cm x 100 cm, a 2 tile depth) and in the kitchen an area of concrete underneath a chimney breast (about 40cm x 145).

I have tried - with difficulty - to find a way to restore these tiles. I have received 2 quotes - the first came in at 4000 pounds (which is way beyond my means and would no way provide a return in value!) and the second for 850, but the chap couldn't do it before next March.

Is it worth trying to track down the right tiles and find someone locally to lay them? Or do I need a professional restorer to do the job? If so, can anyone give me an idea of what would be a reasonable price (given that the 2 quotes were miles apart)?

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks,

Sarah

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back