Video doorbell - connecting power to CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the CU:

CU.jpg

Here is the link to the transformer

It looks like it will only take up one module.

If so, I have seen on YouTube someone connecting the live wire to the first floor lighting module and the neutral to the appropriate neutral bar.

I am planning on using 2-core 0.75mm cable to connect to the transformer from the video doorbell and assume it will be protected enough from interference.

If this is all still doable, what size cables (tails) must I use to connect to the first floor module and the neutral bar?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
1mm or larger, ie same as the lighting circuit your connecting to.
I wouldn't expect to have interference problems on that.

If you want to put a bell transformer in a CU you will first need to remove, cut down and reinstall the busbar so it doesn't impinge on the module slot. You will also need to use mains-rated cable for the wiring feeding the doorbell as it is running through an environment with a bunch of single-insulated mains wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice and noted.
Regarding the wiring that connects to the neighbouring module and neutral bar, can the wires be the same as the 1mm wire that connects the transformer to the doorbell or do they have to be proper tails and if so what size? They're quite expensive.

they don't need to be tails. They are very thick.

Just the normal cable used on lighting circuits. 1.0mm or 1.5mm

you can get single width transformers.

Make sure the voltage is high enough for the video doorbell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323817798965?hash=item4b650b7d35:g:ZT0AAOSw8WJc6rJH

That is, indeed a transformer: AC in. AC out.

However, the unit the OP linked to is NOT A TRANSFORMER, it is a 24V DC power supply. A transformer will not work for this application.
This highlights the problem with using incorrect terminology, which is being discussed in another thread!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back