viessmann 100 boiler keeps switching off after 30 mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it happens the display on the boiler is completely clear, there is a picture of a house but the radiatior and tap symbol usually showing are missing as is the water temperature, also there is no fault code displayed.

If I reset it the boiler bursts into life for another 30 Mins then turns off again.

It was only installed 11 months ago

Sponsored Links
What does your registered Gas Safe installer have to say?

Tony

He has emigrated to Australia typical just our luck

Was he really gas registered and has he completed the Benchmark and notified the installation to Gas safe?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have all the documentation and the benchmark log book also his gas safe registration number

I have seen that symbol but I dont remember what it represents! It does not seem to be mentioned in the book.

Wait and see when the resident Viessmann technical help man replies soon.

In the meantime, when you see see the house what happens if you turn each knob down to zero and the the CH one up first?

Tony

theres only 1 knob to turn that sets the temp

Lack of these symbols indicates no demand from the external controls, if you have a combi with a wireless stat, it may be the batteries going

Its not a combi boiler.

Just got up and checked the boiler because the house is freezing, boiler is off, the only way to get it to work is to turn dial fully clockwise until it clicks (reset position), turn it back to zero then up to full on, the boiler is now working agaoin but will go off in 30 mins again

Thanks

HI,

Sounds like you're putting it into 'service' mode. It resets after 20/30 mins.

You were advised to look at external controls. Good advice.

If you don't know what we are on about get someone in.

Thanet.

sounds like open vent boiler, house symbol is always on, if you reset, the boiler fires up as standard even if no heat is called for, wait a minute then check your hot water and heating is on, sounds like external controls not working

Thanks for all the replies, when you say the external controls do you mean either the thermostadt, Timer or 3 point valve? is there anything else?

I want to get someone in but how do I find a reputable person in my area, are there sites you can go on with lists of good engineers in your area

Thanks again

As it is a fairly new Viessmann, it would do no harm to look at their website for one of the approved installers who is local. It means he has (at least) been on one of their one-day free training courses, and (ask him) it may also mean that he has done enough Viessmanns to be familiar with them. Ask him if he has done many of last year's model of the 100, as it is not very common.

Also look for the serial no and ask Viessmann if it was reported to them for the extended warranty. (unless you have already got their letter on file).

Hi John

Viessman engineer has been out and the boiler is not the problem, he tested the thermostadt and says thats working as well.

So what does that leave, the programmer and the 3 point valve? anything else I need to consider

Thanks

dunno mate.

might be the pump, might be that you have one of the 3-way valves which throws a switch depending what position it's in, and either the switch has failed, or the wiring was incorrect when installed. Knowing when it last worked would help.

I'm lost now. I would have thought a Viessmann-trained person would have the best chance of tracing and fixing the fault (it will not be a warranty claim on the boiler if the fault is somewhere else, so you'll have to pay for his time, or get the original installer back).

I have a Viessmann 100 myself, and the installer originally made a wiring mistake which his boss had to fix, as he was not familiar with the model. I can't pretend to know more about fault-finding than rudimentary understanding of simple controls. I am a householder not a heating engineer and can do lots of things, but am out of my depth now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back