Viewing videos after digital changeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since changeover I cant view videos through Panasonic TX-P42U10B TV.
Have tried retuning it and Toshiba D-VR17KB combined dvd/video recorder. The dvds play ok but videos playback black & white any ideas

Sponsored Links
Digital Switchover will have no impact on playback of your VHS tapes. What's more likely is that in retuning your TV you have reset something.

It's difficult to be specific because you haven't posted enough information about stuff like the connection method, what channel you use for playback, whether the VHS tapes are new or previous recordings, the model of the TV etc etc. But as a starting point I'd suggest you get the Tosh combi hooked up to your TV via SCART and (if possible) set menus for the connection to be Composite Video (A.K.A. CV, CVBS, Video, PAL) on both devices. This is the lowest common denominator so should give consistent results. Make sure to switch the TV to the corresponding AV channel for that SCART input.

Come back to us once you have done this and tried playback of DVD & VHS.

I assume you are not using scart connection.
Then you need to retune the tv.

As already said change over should not affect this. However I have had a similar effect where a scart plug was not fully home. So if using a scart lead try changing the lead in case any of the wires have broken or pins pushed back into the socket.

Although scart should be to a standard I have found problems with compatibility where the scart signal from one outlet of sky box will work and other will not to one of the scart sockets in TV but other output works with both. I think it is because one TV socket also has an output so one can record from the TV's built in freeview box. So if multi scart connections it is worth trying to swap which one is used.

Sponsored Links
VCR/DVD connected by scart lead. I have tried replacing it but on differance

It's difficult to be specific because you haven't posted enough information about stuff like the connection method, what channel you use for playback, whether the VHS tapes are new or previous recordings, the model of the TV etc etc. But as a starting point I'd suggest you get the Tosh combi hooked up to your TV via SCART and (if possible) set menus for the connection to be Composite Video (A.K.A. CV, CVBS, Video, PAL) on both devices. This is the lowest common denominator so should give consistent results. Make sure to switch the TV to the corresponding AV channel for that SCART input.

Come back to us once you have done this and tried playback of DVD & VHS.
Wot he said. ^^^^^

Yesterday I disconnected everything, started from stratch checked all leads and connections all ok. retuned tv then the dvd/vcr he presto, happy days are here again. The only thing I did different was to switch the sky box to Sky News Channell while tuning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back