Village Sacrificed for World War II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I vaguely remember last year I watched a programme on the TV about a village on the South coast of England which I think was evacuated to house military personnel and store munitions in preparation for a German invasion. After the war, the residents just didn’t return as they carried on with their lives elsewhere. So this village is now like a ghosttown.

Am I right? What is this village called?

Sponsored Links
I know the one you mean. It's not so much the villagers didn't return, but the government wouldn't give it back. Still used for military training. The church is isolated behind barbed wire and once a year the surviving families are allowed to go back for a service, and I imagine to weep over their lost homes.

Last week I was at Southwick House (formerly HMS Dryad) again, another country estate commandeered in WW2 to prepare for the Normandy Landings, and still held by the military. I must remember never to let the MoD borrow my lawnmower, or I'll never see it again.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I vaguely remember last year I watched a programme on the TV about a village on the South coast of England which I think was evacuated So this village is now like a ghosttown.

Am I right? What is this village called?
Peacehaven :LOL: :LOL:

Imber is a disgrace.

As usual, the Govt and/or its departments are peeing all over the rights of Joe Public.

I find it disgusting and absolutely disgraceful that the agreement was not adhered to.

I am going to write to Tony Blair about it.

Sponsored Links
Back