Vinyl tiles on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay a new concrete floor in my basement and want to know if i'll be able to lay vinyl floor tiles straight onto it or whether i'll need some kind of screed?

The chap who's supplying the concrete is giving me a wet mix which he says will cure with quite a smooth finish.

If i do need a screed what would be most suitable, bearing in mind that head hight is at a premium?!

Sponsored Links
you need a smoothing compound to make subfloor smooth and flat. You cant just lay onto concrete base. As for height increase, it should be no more than 3mm depending on how flat you get concrete base down. You also cant just lay your flooring or compound until concrete is dry! This takes approx 1 month for every inch deep. (6"= 6 months) Can take longer below ground level ( basement). You can put down a surface dpm (liquid dpm) to speed things along. Read the stickys at the top about which leveling compound to use and how to use liquid dpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back