Vinyl tiles over concrete slab in front of door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently laminated most of my kitchen/dining room but my back door comes realy low to the floor and wont accomodate the boards so have left a square gap in fornt of the door with the intention of layinf vinyl floor tiles over this small area.

The area consists of some chipboard and thena block of concrete the width of the door and ocming into the kitchen about 8 inches. I am unsur ehow to prepare this surface as everythign i have read mentions you have to ake sure a concrete floor has a dmap proof membrane and i have no idea whther the block incorporate sone of these. i keep reaidng about screeding and self leveling compounds etc and am at a bit of a loss as to what I am to do. The old kitchen floor just had sheet vinyl on top of this and didn;t seem to have any problems but I wnat to knwo whther i can lay the vinyl tiles staright on top of it. Unfortunately the block is a bit pitted and where it meeets the chipboards isn't very level either.

I'm wondering whther i can get away with just the tiles over this small area (total area in fornt of door is about 2.5 by 2.5 feet only) or whther i need to do any of the preperations mentioned above. Trouble is there isonly relay about enough room to fit the vinyl tile anythign else I have to put unde rit woudl have to be very thin.

Sorry for the essay. hope you can help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back