Virgin Media cable crimp tool

That link appears to be more about how bad their installation teams are and nothing to do with the connector on the end of the cable or cutting off services due to it.

It says

“An engineer from Virgin Media knocked at the door at approximately 12:30pm saying that our cable needed replacing as there was a 'noise ingress/egress' issue and our cable was causing problems on the network and for other customers in the area. It was explained to my Mother that an engineer visit was booked in for the morning to see about replacing the cable, any time up to 12pm).”

If that person was not home they would of been cut off and left with a card through the door.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it does not say that, it may have been an article found using the above mentioned google search but it says nothing about being cut off.
It does however say how bad the repair teams are.
They would soon be seen off my property if they acted like that.
Now your going to say I would be cut off, well that may be but their behavior would be unacceptable -0 yet this is nothing to do with the original posting so lets agree to move on eh...

Unfortunately it does not say that, it may have been an article found using the above mentioned google search but it says nothing about being cut off.
It does however say how bad the repair teams are.
They would soon be seen off my property if they acted like that.
Now your going to say I would be cut off, well that may be but their behavior would be unacceptable -0 yet this is nothing to do with the original posting so lets agree to move on eh...

I’m so confused by your tone and reply.

I am not debating or thinking I am telling you that is what will happen. There is no if, but or maybe. If you have something in your property causing ingress usually poor connectors are the likely cause and they track it to your property they will block your cable from the box if they are unable to make contact with you. You will have no service until it is rectified.

The original post had some bad advice posted for it and I was saying what would likely happen if you follow it. As far as I am concerned I was being very very helpful unless you like coming home from work to find you have no service.

As far as I am concerned I was being very very helpful

I agree your posts have been intended to be helpful, thank you for your input. Perhaps i've taken your replies the wrong way, but it sounded like you were angry at me for wanting to move the cable!

Obviously i didn't realise it could cause a problem as suggested, although as i've mentioned in the post, I do want to do this properly and I thought it would be a fairly straightforward thing to do.

Sponsored Links
I have an old Virgin Media cable to test my F connector skills on (from last house). I have tried to install an F connector on it today and it doesn't fit!

The cable appears too thin and the connector just slides right off after being compressed, does anyone know if there a different, more specific connector?

Virgin will charge you around £100 to come out and move something so I fully understand me included why people DIY. Just do a good job and it saves future effort. Buy some decent cable, some decent crimped on F connectors and make sure all connectors are tight. You could even probably approach a friendly Virgin installer and ask for a length of cable and a couple of F connectors.

The virgin network is unique unlike nothing else in this country. They use a common path to send and receive data via RF. If you cause something to interfere with that RF by the time it reaches where it is going it will cause the data travelling down it to error. That data is from the hundreds of other customers travelling down the same common path which will then lead to many people having a problem. Which is why virgin engineers proactively search for these issues and try and fix them or failing that block them.

Acurachris
If worried that you will get cuttoff by Virgin (which I somehow doubt it considering the weight of Virgin requests to join I get every day through the mail) you can get ones that look identical to the original.
They are called "Snap Seal F Compression Crimp Connector Plug"

I have never used so do not know how easy to "snap seal" without the dedicated tool. They are here on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...l+F+Compression+Crimp+Connector+Plug&_sacat=0

And here is the How to use video:
SFK

In the video, the guy seems to remove all of the copper braiding when he uses the stripping too. Or am I blind?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Your not blind.
The snap & seal connector must push into the braid within itself.
If you look at the ends you will see a tube that the inner pushes into, forcing the braid onto the outside of it, this will then be compressed using the crimpers.

Your not blind.
The snap & seal connector must push into the braid within itself.
If you look at the ends you will see a tube that the inner pushes into, forcing the braid onto the outside of it, this will then be compressed using the crimpers.

Thanks, however, looking at other videos, other striping tools seem to score twice, leaving 4(?)mm of braiding and 4mm of the inner core. In each of those videos, the youtuber pushes the the braiding back over the outer sleeve before fitting the compression F-Type fitting.

Acurachris,
The thinner cable is called RG58, or WF65, or CT63a and often used in shotgun (double) cables.
And that cable is about 4mm dia coaxial.
Following search finds the smaller F type connectors: "RG58 WF65 CT63 F type connector"
https://www.google.com/search?q=RG5...nnector&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...=m570.l1313&_nkw=WF65+CT63+connector&_sacat=0

and here is the slim push fit (I think)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Compre...h=item51fc3ab7c0:g:BIsAAOSwvVFZdz2f:rk:6:pf:0

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The thinner cable is called RG58, or WF65, or CT63a and often used in shotgun (double) cables.
And that cable is about 4mm dia coaxial.

It's me being a donkey! It does fit, I just wasn't pushing the inner metal tube through properly :LOL:.

I'm doing the proper (not old test cable) cable tomorrow. I bought these connectors off eBay, they are the same as currently on the cable.

IMG_6748.jpeg

Cheers for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back