Virgin Media (dual SIM)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my phone through Virgin Media i.e. phone and SIM contract. The phone is dual SIM capable. If I want to put a second SIM in, do I need to go with Virgin Media (i.e. locked to them) or will a SIM from any operator work?

No need to say 'phone 'em and ask!' thanks, thought I'd try here first ;)

Sponsored Links
That depends. When you bought the phone, was it sold as locked to VM?

I did hear a while back that 3 were only selling unlocked phones from that point on. I'm not sure if there is a ruling that all phones are now unlocked. Where did you buy it from?

Most of CPW's phones are unlocked.

The other thing to mention is why you want two SIMs. I run a second spare on a different network in case I don't have service with my regular SIM.

You may want a second so you have one for work calls and one for private.

If you phone is locked to VM, there are other providers that piggy-back off VM that should still work in a VM-locked phone.

VM currently use Vodafone and EE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

That depends. When you bought the phone, was it sold as locked to VM?

I did hear a while back that 3 were only selling unlocked phones from that point on. I'm not sure if there is a ruling that all phones are now unlocked. Where did you buy it from?

Most of CPW's phones are unlocked.

The other thing to mention is why you want two SIMs. I run a second spare on a different network in case I don't have service with my regular SIM.

You may want a second so you have one for work calls and one for private.

If you phone is locked to VM, there are other providers that piggy-back off VM that should still work in a VM-locked phone.

VM currently use Vodafone and EE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators
Cheers. My requirement is more related to having one for private and one for business. So having access to both in the same phone would be handy. I bought the phone through VM and it was prior to Dec 2021 :(

I'd rather not have a second entire phone tbh but might explore that if less hassle.

Sponsored Links
What mobile provider do you want to use for the new SIM?

It might still be worth checking if your handset is locked to them

What mobile provider do you want to use for the new SIM?

It might still be worth checking if your handset is locked to them
tbh hadn't thought that far ahead. Just looking for a cheap and cheerful 2nd SIM deal to facilitate having a 2nd number.

Well, if you get one that uses Voda or EE, it should work in your phone, even if it's locked.

Before you set up an account and top up a new SIM card, get a free one (Googling usually brings up offers, or you can ring the companies and tell them you want a SIM and they will probably send one free).
Or you can pick them up from supermarkets for 99p.

Switch off your phone, put the SIM in your second slot, and turn on. If the SIM is recognised, it should come up on the screen with the name. Next, if the mobile number is on the packaging, call it. If all is well, your phone should ring.

Edit: in the good old days, pretty much everyone put the mobile number on the back of the SIM pack, but some these days don't display a number.

Sponsored Links
Back