Virgin Media Landline

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have gone from having my landline to the ground floor to now having it plugged into the VM modem in the attic, this of course is causing connectivity issue due to the distance between the second and ground floor.

I have gone to VM several times but keep getting told I would need to move my modem etc, which I cannot do as all the network cables are feeding from the attic.

Has anybody got any advice or suggestions on how I can improve the landline connectivity pls?

thank you

Sponsored Links
I assume buy landline you mean POTS telephone, the same type of phone you would use on a BT exchange line ?
If so, does it work properly directly plugged into the VM router ?
If so it's your cabling or connectors, you should be using twisted pair, CAT5 etc works fine or you can use CW1308 telephone cable. In both cases avoid long runs together with mains power cable.
It is likely the router only uses 12 or 24V for line power rather than the normal BT 48V but even so considering a BT loop length can be 5Kms long I don't thing the distance between your router and the phone is likely to be the problem.

I assume buy landline you mean POTS telephone, the same type of phone you would use on a BT exchange line ?
If so, does it work properly directly plugged into the VM router ?
If so it's your cabling or connectors, you should be using twisted pair, CAT5 etc works fine or you can use CW1308 telephone cable. In both cases avoid long runs together with mains power cable.
It is likely the router only uses 12 or 24V for line power rather than the normal BT 48V but even so considering a BT loop length can be 5Kms long I don't thing the distance between your router and the phone is likely to be the problem.

I was assuming it’s a cordless phone and it’s not plugged in to the modem in the attic and it’s the distance between the base and downstairs that’s causing the connectivity challenge.

Sponsored Links
Right so as it's cordless there is not much you can do other than what VM suggests, would have helped had you not used the phrase "plugged in" lols
How did your cordless phone work before, you say the base station was on the ground floor so how was it attached to the landline there ?

Right so as it's cordless there is not much you can do other than what VM suggests, would have helped had you not used the phrase "plugged in" lols
How did your cordless phone work before, you say the base station was on the ground floor so how was it attached to the landline there ?
Aha I am so sorry. So the base station was plugged into the VM telephone socket which is now redundant (attached pic)

Attachments

• 366AB323-D04F-456E-B499-29D60D6EE187.jpeg
    366AB323-D04F-456E-B499-29D60D6EE187.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29
Well this is hard going getting information here! So what exactly is this VM router in the attic, does it still have a copper connection to the outside world or is it fibre ? Why is the downstair socket now redundant ?

Well this is hard going getting information here! So what exactly is this VM router in the attic, does it still have a copper connection to the outside world or is it fibre ? Why is the downstair socket now redundant ?
The modem in the attic is supplying the internet to the property, and now also the landline. The downstairs socket does not work anymore as my area has switched over to fibre landline. The reason why the modem is in the attic is because it’s where the modem was first installed 20-30 years ago during the NTL era.

OK got it. So you will have to move the base station back down till where you can get a service then extend it's connection to the router in the attic accordingly.

OK got it. So you will have to move the base station back down till where you can get a service then extend it's connection to the router in the attic accordingly.
Yes that’s the aim, how do I go about doing this, that is the most quick and easier way pls?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back