'Virus' vs Money...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Foreign business leaders will no longer need to quarantine when arriving in England if their trip is likely to have a significant economic benefit to the UK, the government has announced."

So much for 'disease control'!

Sponsored Links
Old news. Been like that for ages. Same applies to truck drivers, train staff and many others. Keep up.

"Foreign business leaders will no longer need to quarantine when arriving in England if their trip is likely to have a significant economic benefit to the UK, the government has announced."

So if Johnson travels, he should be in quarantine forever.

Sponsored Links
I don’t see anything wrong with this. It is only for arrivals from amber-list countries.

"The exemption is for executives wishing to travel to England to make a "financial investment in a UK-based business" or for "establishing a new business within the UK".

BEIS said: "This exemption is designed to enable activity that creates and preserves UK jobs and investment, while taking steps to ensure public health risks are minimised."

The prime minister's official spokesman added: "Protecting public health is our number one priority and that's why those exemptions will only apply in truly exceptional circumstances."

Business leaders will not qualify for an exemption if the activities can be carried out remotely via telephone or email, or by another person. "Routine meetings" and "speculative sales pitches" will not qualify.

"Significant economic benefit" is considered to be having a greater than 50% chance of creating or preserving at least 500 UK-based jobs, or creating a new UK business within two years, BEIS said".

You can bet that if the government had put out a statement saying that businessmen coming from amber-list countries that want to create or save 500 jobs are NOT allowed in, the same people screaming about the fact they CAN come in would be screaming that the Government are not saving jobs and stifling trade!

I assume it means a new business that will provide or secure 500 jobs?

I assume it means a new business that will provide or secure 500 jobs?
I don't know, it doesn't seem clear to me.

Either way, It's hard to argue against special treatment for economic benefit.

The rabid jabbers don't see the irony of this...

Mind you they ignore the irony of making themselves poorer, but with the few getting richer because of brexit...

I wonder if a study will ever be done as to whether those benefiting from both 'arrangements' tend to be the same usual suspects? :rolleyes:

Shame he renounced his US citizenship - we could have taken his UK one away.
Indeed...

We could have got rid of that particular 'virus', but he chose the money...

In other words not coughing up money to the IRS!

Technically if he's eligible for US citizenship then it might still be possible.
Hes no more eligible than anyone else. He had it. He renounced it. If he wants to have it again he starts from scratch like anyone else.

So much for 'disease control'!
And what’s your feeling on this when the England football team, staff and officials return from Rome after Saturdays match? Ten days isolation for them? What about the 5 days isolation going out there - do you object to them being exempt from that too?

Last edited:
And what’s your feeling on this when the England football team, staff and officials return from Rome after Saturdays match? Ten days isolation for them? What about the 5 days isolation going out there - do you object to them being exempt from that too?
They are actually in an isolated bubble, if you believe in such a thing...

They also I believe travel privately...

Can you say the same about all 'Foreign business leaders'?

And what's the difference between a 'business leader' and his/her team when it comes to the 'virus' risk?

Sponsored Links
Back