Visonic PowerMaster MC-302E PG2 Contact Sensor installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

The recommendation for installing the MC-302E PG2 door/window sensor is for the sensor to be fitted vertically to the top of the frame and the magnet on the top of the door <5mm away from the sensor.

Looking at my front door however the way the door has been fitted precludes the fitting of the sensor itself to the door frame as there is not enough width between the door and the wall to fix it.

I couldn't even swap the positions of the sensor/magnet because if I did that the magnet would be on the 'deaf' side of the sensor unless I fitted the sensor 'upside down' but then the small plastic cover that has to be prized off to fix/remove it would be pointing upwards and be difficult to access.

Damned if I do...damned if I don't...

The only option might to be to fit the sensor to the frame horizontally above the door with the magnet directly below but like above the access cover would then be closer to the side wall and difficult to remove.

Well that or chop some of the wall away to accommodate the sensor!

Is there a right or wrong way to fit the door contact sensor please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Sponsored Links
Hi Glyn,

There is no right or wrong way to fit a door sensor, as long as the gap between magnet and reedswitch is not too wide. You obviously need to mount it where you can remove it easily. 5mm doesn't seem a great deal to be honest with you. Admittedly, the closer the gap the better, but I have a feeling that it should work at 5 mil.

We check ordinary door sensors by placing the reedswitch close to the ear, holding the magnet close to the reed switch and gradually moving it away, Where a feint click is heard in the reed switch, that's where the operating gap is at about maximum. Give it a try, you might be O.K.

Just had a quick read of the data sheet for that particular contact and it appears that you can connect an external wired contact to it. In that case, you could fit a standard surface/flush contact to the door and run a short piece of wire to the transmitter. Job done!

Sponsored Links
Hello , i would like to buy some MC-302E PG2
door/window contacts. In fact i was thinking that i could use some wire and connect &#932;he auxiliary input with a outdoor sensor but i don't know if this could be done.
Has anyone tried this ?
What specifications should i look for to buy a sensor that it would be compatible with MC-320E PG2.
This contact uses a 3V lithium battery CR-123A and the manual refers:
A. If the auxiliary input of the MCT-302E PG2 is defined as a Normally
Closed (N.C.) type, series connected N.C. sensor contacts must be
used exclusively. An E.O.L. resistor will not be required.
B. If the auxiliary input of the MCT-302E PG2 is defined as a Normally Open (N.O.) type, parallel connected N.O. sensor contacts must
be used exclusively. An E.O.L. resistor will not be required.
D. For E.O.L. supervision:
Normally Closed (N.C.) sensor contacts can be used, A 47k&#937; E.O.L. resistor must be wired at the far end of the
zone loop.[/b]

Hi,

Most outdoor sensors are 240v AC, although there are possibly some running at 12volts. If it's at 240 you would need to connect the latching pair from the pir to a 10amp relay coil and take the normally closed output from the coil to the transmitter NC contacts (no voltage on these contacts). It's relatively simple. Check out the 10amp plug in relays at Maplin.co.uk to give you some idea. The pinouts are shown in the accompanying diagram on that page. This is a cheap and effective method which I use at home.

Keep in touch and take care.

CD.

Thanks very much CD
I'll look for it.
If it is 12V do i need to do something else or there is no problem.
Thanks again.

Hi,

First and foremost, decide which external detector you intend using, and we'll take a look at the specifications of that before doing anything. Yes, the relay in this case, since it is not part of the alarm system must be rated at ten amps. five amps may be too low for the intention.

Take care,

CD.

Thanks guys a lot
i ll find a detector and i ll ask you again.
Take care

Hello , i think i found an outdoor detector.
It's the OPTEX BX -80NR . So i am wondering if the MC-302E PG2 could be installed inside the BX-80NR. I think that the size would not be a problem.
I want this kind of detection in my balkony (12x2,4)m instead of the 90 degrees cover pattern of the TOWER 20.
Just i want to ask if you find this ok.Would work or not?
I am thinking of using the MC302E PG2 battery to power the BX-80NR and if it's ok (please correct me) i 'll just connect the inputs of the BX-80NR to the terminals of the MC-302E PG2. Now, i want to ask should it be in series and N.C or parallel and N.O? what would be the difference? and if i want to use E.O.L resistor where do i have to connect it?
Maybe if it is ok i will also use the magnetic contact of the MC302E PG2 for TAMPER in the BX-80NR.
And something else.. if someone knows how long are the screws of the MC-302E PG2?

Thank you very much

I wouldn't put a PIR on a balcony and connect it to and intruder alarm - the damn thing would go off every time a pidgeon flew past or nextdoor's cat wanted a bit of sunshine. If you must have detection outside, try Pulnix/Takex beams - you can set them high enough to miss the cat and slow enough to miss the pidgeon.

As for the transmitter on the door contact, try and mount it the right way up or upside down - not sideways. This will ensure that the antenna has the correct polarity to maximise your signal strength.

Hello again, so if i understand correctly the MC-302E PG2 could be installed upside down or in another way. I have some doors that open to the left and i think this is the only way or i have to install it in the wall and from the auxilliary input connect some surface magnetic contacts or just use a curtain pir like CLIP PG2. What do you think ?
Thank you very much.

For tricky doors or windows, which don't have a wide enough frame to mount the transmitter, fit a contact (surface or concealed...). Find a good place nearby to fit the transmitter and wire the contact to the auxillary input in the transmitter. When you do the programming, disable the internal reed switch and enable (EOL or NC) the input - if you've got the resistor and use EOL, this is the default.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back