Vista restart failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago, my Dell laptop failed big time, initially outlook wouldn't work. Dell support tried to resolve it, but in the end, after several hours, we had to do a complete re-install of Vista.

Since then, I haven't been able to do a restart - if I try, I get a BSOD and then the usual "Windows failed to start properly...."
This repeats endlessly until I turn it off, and start it up again.

I'm not overly bothered, as I just turn it off if I need to restart Windows, but I am just a little bothered.
Any ideas for a simple remedy?
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Get back onto Dell support if it started playing up just after they had cured the first problem.

Well that would be the sensible option.
But...
Before they give the support, they get your card details and preference for a single fix, 6 or 12 month support.
I'm assuming Dell waived the charge as it was an 8 hr saga.
I fear contacting them now might prompt a charge.

As I said, I can live with this, but I'm curious as to why it happens, and whether it's something I might be able to fix.

Thanks.

do you get an error code on the bsod. if it tries to reboot before you can read it then change the settings in system properties.

Sponsored Links
I will try. Can you help me with finding system properties. I asked my super duper Windows Vista, but it doesn't understand the question.

Ah ha thanks.
The BSOD gives me a few numbers and a recommendation to run chkdsk/f.
But there seems to be the potential for this to cause other difficulties, judging by a quick search on the net, so I'm not sure if I'm committed enough to have a go. Yet.

Checkdisk is normally pretty well behaved- nothing is without risk but it is probably the best place to start.

If you are worried you could always clone your hard drive to an external drive- from which you could restore in the event of this going paired shaped.

Ok, I phoned a pc man who said just run chkdsk. So I did.
Chkdsk/f, and also chkdsk/r, but nothing seems to have been discovered. However it still won't do a restart - I get the same BSOD, and have to actually turn it off before starting it up again.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I took the bulls by the horns and did a complete format and reinstallation.
After several updates and update configurations, the old problem is back.

So if it's one of the 70 or 80 updates that's causing the problem, do I have to install and reboot each one individually to check? Or is there a better way to handle the updates?

Sponsored Links
Back