Vitamin C / D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
@mods i put this in the gas forum as we work long hours in the dark and cold and normally around tenants / homeowners who can have colds or whatever else.

Hopefully the crazies will not jump on and ruin what was an educational thread.

Bloke I knew went to the doctors with stomach ulcers, the doc said it was down to his heavy drinking of lager, he told him to switch to Guinness which is good for ulcers. Two weeks later he was back at the doctors saying his condition hadn't improved, the doc said "are you drinking Guinness?", "yes", he said, "15 pints a night", "ffs" said the doctor.

IMO, if you have a reasonably normal diet and have no medical conditions, vitamin supplements are a waste of time and money. The one concession to that is vitamin D for over 50s that don't get a couple of hours of sunlight. (might apply to one or two keyboard warriors on here, locked in their bedrooms telling the rest how to think and behave?) Personally I take it during the Winter months - mainly because it is so cheap, so why not.

Most people would benefit from more fibre in their diets. In particular, soluble fibre is highly beneficial to general health and particularly mental health and wellbeing. (read up about microbiome and gut health - not from product suppliers, but from health advisory sources) You do get soluble fibre from food but it is very difficult to get enough, even on a very high fibre diet. Therefore I also take a fibre supplement every day.

Most dietary fibre is absorbed in the stomach and small intestine, soluble fibre is not and passes straight through to the colon where it feeds your gut microbiome. The microbiome produces numerous digestive enzymes and amino acids that attack harmful bacteria and pathogens in the gut, fights off diseases and cancers and generally strengthens the immune system. It also produces higher levels of short chain fatty acids, which is good for muscle function. If you can only take one supplement, my advice would be to take a multi fibre capsule that includes at least 30g of soluble fibre.

PS. soluble fibre is known as 'prebiotic'. This is completely different to 'probiotic' which you'll see splashed over much of the stuff on supermarket shelfs. Probiotic is 'live culture', which is supposed to build up your gut microbiome. i.e. yoghurt drinks and so on. Now, yoghurt drinks are good for you - they are nutritious etc. - but the good research says there is no evidence that they 'build' your gut microbiome, because 'live' cultures can't survive the stomach acid.

I am immunosuppressed and was sent vitamin d tablets in the post because of this so they should work or so I would assume.

What Jed's said above really.

Vitamin D is worth taking as supplements. It's pretty much the only one that shows any benefit (other than very odd groups like 1800s eta mariners).

The rest is nothing more than a way to make your urine more expensive.

they use to give Guinness in the hospital to pregnant women for the Iron. Mind you you could smoke in bed in the hospital in those days lol

My mother was bullied by the maternity nursing home into drinking a bottle of stout every day.
Nothing like starting the young early on a lifetime's drinking habit :)

@mods i put this in the gas forum as we work long hours in the dark and cold and normally around tenants / homeowners who can have colds or whatever else.

Hopefully the crazies will not jump on and ruin what was an educational thread.
I wondered why all the people posting were strangers to general discussion, being here makes me feel like I’ve joined the wrong party…..anyway Merry Christmas to you all :)

I wondered why all the people posting were strangers to general discussion, being here makes me feel like I’ve joined the wrong party…..anyway Merry Christmas to you all :)

Thanks @Notch7 Merry Christmas to you as well.

They give away gas quals every so often in lucky bags, I'll put your name down, then you can join the CC Jedi club.

This so-called pandemic has turned everyone into a hypochondriac!

Sponsored Links
Back