Voice Activation on Samsung Galaxy Ace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instructions say tap the microphone and speak a command. So far so good, but when I say (for example) "Call Anna", it recognises what I say, but it does not dial up Anna from the contacts list. Am I going wrong?

And please don't tell Mrs Secure about Anna, I'll only deny all knowledge and blame you for stirring. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Monkeh.

Still it does not search correctly. If I say, "Call Dad", it brings up and starts dialling a phone number of "The Wash Father" nearby...

I can say, "call pizza hut" and it dials out to the nearest PH to my address.

So, I need Jelly Bean....don't understand that I seem to have some form of voice dialling on the phone , but that if I want to call a number stored in contacts, it does not work. Well confused, but as you know by now, that does not take much. ;)

Maybe it just doesn't work with contacts?

And what about speech to text? Is that possible?

EDIT: Just looked up the Ace on CPW's website. Helpfully, it says the phone has 2.2 Froyo in one place, then 2.3 Gingerbread in another... But in any case, neither of them are Jellybean...

Just looked up the Ace on CPW's website. Helpfully, it says the phone has 2.2 Froyo in one place, then 2.3 Gingerbread in another... But in any case, neither of them are Jellybean...

Well then go to settings, scroll down to 'about phone' and select, then select 'software information' and it should tell you which version you have, while your on that page select 'software updates' to see if theres any outstanding for that phone, if its already on v2.3.5 then its unlikely there are any but if its on 2.2 then you can update to 2.3 gingerbread.

Its a OTA (over the air) update and very simple, just select and let it do its business, doing over WIFI is recommended as it'll be quick and free as oppossed to 3G where it'll slow and come out of your data bundle

Sponsored Links
Done that thanks. It's v2.3.6.

Have connected to Wifi, but how can I make sure I connect the Samsung via Wifi when it's available as opposed to 3G?

I've never really used wifi but again go to settings, click on 'wireless and networks', click wifi settings and activate wifi 'ON' , from then on its a personalization thing about being informed when a network is available and so on

I have the Sony Xperia, it has ta similar feature, runs on Android.

I have to give the command first, eg Call, Text

then say the person you want to call or text, might be similar with the Galaxy

Yeah, that's how I thought it would work.

As I say, I can speak "call pizza hut" and it will dial my nearest for me.

But if I speak "call Dad" (Dad being a contact in the phone) it calls some company nearby.

Wonder if there's a setting I can activate to include contacts in the voice dialling?

Still investigating this.

Have spoken to Samsung who say the phone will not call the contacts unless a voice command app is installed. She advised me to go to Google Play, so I go there and find Googles Voice Search.

It is billed as being able to dial contacts, and actually, I have this installed, so I'm wondering why I can't do what they say and dial the contacts.

It is very frustrating! :evil:

Thanks, monkeh. It's not for me, it's for my son!

If you think it's not worth it, I won't bother.

He likes the speech to text: it's quicker than predictive or even Swyping.

Like to speech to text hmmmmm, good job he hasn't got 'S Voice' then otherwise he'd be getting into full blown conversations with the phone lol!

Sponsored Links
Back