Vokera 20/80 flowmatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
my Vokera 20/80 RS Flowmatic has just died!

Last week we had problems getting hot water for any length of time and the pressure kept dropping below 1 so we were "topping up" at least once a day. Then the dripping started, usually at night when nothing was on, from the pipe that appears to feed water into the boiler, outside the unit completely.

Two days ago we could smell an electrical burning smell so we switched it off and called a plumber. The guy said that the circuit board was "gubbed"!! He recommended we buy a new boiler.

Having been revived with smelling salts when I found out how expensive these are, I had a look online and the parts don't seem that expensive, can anyone please advise me whether I should buy a new boiler or whether new parts might be sufficient?

I have a feeling that there is more than one part needing repaired/replaced. If anyone can suggest possibilities for parts to replace I would be very grateful. I have no intention of trying to repair the boiler myself (the strange noises, pressure drops and smells are scary enough!) I am trying to work out what would be best from a financial point of view.

Last service was two years past Christmas (I know, I'm sorry!!)

Many thanks

Shee

Sponsored Links
These are very solidly made boilers and although aging are capable of continued service.

We have previously been able to recondition some of these and the cost rarely exceeds £300. A simple repair would probably only be about £200.

I have never heard of this word "gubbed". Is it a Scottish word? Can DP advise?

Tony Glazier

I am in Glasgow. Carry most (often needed) parts for the Flowmatics and Excel boilers.

Your boiler is a workhorse with plenty life in it. Hardly ever suggest the boiler should be replaced as an overhaul (following a full stripdown and rebuild) more often than not gets the boiler working.

Thanks for advice. Feel slightly better now, tho purse still nervous!! So what next? I've lost confidence in the plumber I called out and am worried that I'll get ripped off!!

Gubbed = unrepairable!! Not a widely used plumbing term then!!

Shee

Sponsored Links
I thought gubbed is 'broke' i.e. knackered, cuffed, broken etc.

Gubbed also to punch- e.g. I gubbed him one

Where are you? Lanarkshire is a big place.

You're an early riser DP, now that's dedication for you!!

hahaha Gubbed has many uses. In my case my budget for this month is gubbed!!

I'm in sunny East Kilbride. Obviously, this is getting to be urgent, we're freezing cold and have no hot water, to fill the sink we have to use the shower, not ideal!!

So I'm looking for someone who can come and fix/estimate costs etc asap, any suggestions?

Shee

I can come to EK but would have to charge travelling time. I would try to access exact causes so one call will put the boiler back on its feet.

In 14 years I have only replaced one Flowmatic. That was because the boiler had overheated due to lack of pressure and melted main heat exchanger, fan and air pressure switch, making repairs a tad expensive.

All work is carried out with client present and defective parts are shown to client before these are replaced

Footnote. Regularly repair many Turbo that Flowmatic replaced. Some Turbos are 18 years or older.

Thanks DP,

Do you have a contact email or telephone no. so that I can get in touch or would you prefer me to give you my details?

Shee

MOD 2

shee put your e mail in your profile :idea:

decent boilers if looked after,you really need a vokera expert,many repair men dont touch these boilers.
i have a 20/80 rs turbo,20 years old in my london flat,a bit noisey at times [scale] but works very well.

Just-thinking, would suggest you source a fan for this boiler. It is a 75 watt fan (with cooling impeller on the shaft). The boiler shares majority of parts with the Flowmatic but not the fan or the PCB. Fan works very hard (do not know why) and jams on the top bearing. Spares for the boiler are getting hard to source but (genuine) fan can still be sourced for certaing spare stockists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back