Vokera excel 80E

agile wrote:

I have to agree with DP about the seals on the primary HE on the PP Vokera models.

Particularly if wrongly operated by the user ( switching off the mains and leaving the pilot on ) it thermally stresses the water connections.

I disagree.

PS...THe 80e is not a PP model

Sponsored Links
Most people I come across think a service consists of sticking a hoover in the boiler as that is what they have seen/heard done in the past.

Looking at the posted picture, can see rust marks, dust and what not, which is indictive of a service long overdue.

With respect to HE union seals, I like to remove the main heat exchanger, clear the debris from the matrix, brush it with a stiff nylon brush and wash under tap. New washers are fitted.

This level of service is carried out on the HE matrix is caked with deposits and copper oxide.

Looking at the posted picture, can see rust marks, dust and what not, which is indictive of a service long overdue.

I wish i could say the boiler hasn't been serviced for a while, but it was done 3 months ago. Are you saying that my boiler hasn't had what you would consider a "proper" service? Should i be calling up the company and asking them to revisit?

Garya

Sponsored Links
DP said:

With respect to HE union seals, I like to remove the main heat exchanger, clear the debris from the matrix, brush it with a stiff nylon brush and wash under tap. New washers are fitted.

This level of service is carried out on the HE matrix is caked with deposits and copper oxide.

Ahhhh. you never said you took out the heat ex.
New washers every time then.

I usually wash them in situ with something on the burner to catch all the crap.

garya said:

I wish i could say the boiler hasn't been serviced for a while, but it was done 3 months ago. Are you saying that my boiler hasn't had what you would consider a "proper" service? Should i be calling up the company and asking them to revisit?

Garya

The prv (bottom right to your arrow) invariable gets a soaking when the arrowed unit is removed for servicing. Therefore dust would not be there. The switch to the right (with blue, black, and pink wire) would normally be removed to access the diverter beam (silver thingy). Handling this switch would end up removing dust from metal and black plastic cover.

But there again these are my thoughts which might mean zero not knowing how and what was done by the chap calling to carry out repairs.

I would normally (having made these observation) be OTT checking the boiler out. Have been to boilers fitted with new parts that have failed to fix faults. Having effected repairs have then gone on to find relevant setting tempered with.

On your boiler I would be looking to strip the arrowed manifold, clean the spindle, check (and replace if defective) diverter shuttle seat, check figure of 8 ‘O’ ring, obviously replace gland nut and while I was at it, I would look in the domestic manifold as it does cause problem on this model. This manifold I would clean with scrubbing pad/ emery paper to remove all traces of rubber. I would also remove the check valve to clean seat. New diaphragm would not go amiss if it showed signs of distress.

In my experience you would be very unlikely to find that someone coming to do a routine service would do as much as DP, unfortunately.

The manufacturer's book of words says to inspect and clean the burner and combustion chamber, and that's about it. Lots of inspecting things to make sure they're ok, then a run through of the commissioning steps, to check gas usage, mainly.
The heat exchanger (at the top of the combustion chamber) would get brushed in situ, though there would typically be very little to clean out, as with other boilers.

It would be better if boiler servicing procedure were laid down more like car servicing, with 1, 3, 5 or whatever year intervals, but it isn't.

So, unless you specify otherwise, you wouldn't expect very much to be done in a routine annual service.

To repair your leak, I would expect most repairers would clean the pin and put a new seal in and that's all. It might last some years, and would be the cheapest repair - who's to say that that wouldn't be the most appropriate thing to do in a given case?
There's no "correct" procedure laid down. Manuals will often just go straight to "replacement of parts"!

So How much is a service by the MI book and what difference a DP service depending on what at the time he feels requires changing?

My policy is to effectively repair a boiler so that you as a client will have a sound operating system, me as a service provider, will not have you calling me to say the boiler is still not working. You are happy because your boiler no longer needs an engineer at your door, me because you as a happy customer will tell no end of people who repaired your boiler.

Sadly, there are boilers that occasionally do require second visit, very rarely a third.

My service would take two ours (average) at £50.00 per hour. £100 total plus around £12 for diaphragms seals etc. You get to watch the show (no fee charged for that) and I get to show you how good the boiler is and what is being done to maintain the boiler in tip top condition.

Typical customer for me is one who is at the end of his tether and is being press ganged to get a new boiler. I go in and see if I can rescue the boiler. Most times it works out. Odd occasions it does not. Have constant work just servicing/ repairing boilers. Rarely replace boilers.

I am in Glasgow, but could stretch to Manchester. Son lives in Macclesfield.

DP said:
On your boiler I would be looking to strip the arrowed manifold, clean the spindle, check (and replace if defective) diverter shuttle seat, check figure of 8 ‘O’ ring, obviously replace gland nut and while I was at it, I would look in the domestic manifold as it does cause problem on this model. This manifold I would clean with scrubbing pad/ emery paper to remove all traces of rubber. I would also remove the check valve to clean seat. New diaphragm would not go amiss if it showed signs of distress.

DP, how much would you charge for this?

Is there anyone in the Halifax area on this forum who would be able to offer the name of someone who they know as trustworthy who would provide a service\maintenance of the standard of that offered by DP, i still have my leak.... many thanks.

If there is someone in area prescribed, I would 'help' the engineer fix the problem.

He would of course need to be CORGI registrered.

i still have my leak
Oh goody - I mean that's interesting
dancindevil.gif
!
Do you know exactly what was done? Maybe someone changed the part without cleaning the pin?

maybe, i wouldn't know, im not a corgi engineer. he could tell me anything...

EX BBC ? WERE U ON ROUGE TRADERS,AS AN EXPERT OF COUSRE ?
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back