Vokera Excell 80 SP - How often should it fire up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I have just moved into a new house with the above boiler. When the central heating is running, the boiler fires up every 20 seconds for about 10 seconds - a continuous pattern of this. The pressure gauge is fine - at 1.5 bar when the heating is switched off, and going up to just about 2 bar when running. Is it normal for the boiler to continuously fire up as described above? I'm just concerned because it almost seems like the safety valve (?) is clicking on as it would do if the pressure bar was climbing over 3. As you can probably tell, my knowledge is pretty much non-existent, but I hate messing with gas and if something appears to be wrong then I will switch it off and have an engineer out asap.

Sponsored Links
your better off calling out a RGI as soon as,

not to worry though all parts are readilly available

I take it that means I should switch it off asap? I just had an engineer out today to lower the pressure as it was sitting at 2.5 on cold - he also fixed a leak. Grrrr :cry:

what did you call the engineer in for?

the pressure rise or the leak or the burner not working properly?

Sponsored Links
Both - I hadn't used the boiler since moving in because of those. The pressure was sitting at 2.5 when I moved in - and the leak was ever present with a bucket sitting underneath the boiler to catch the drips.

I assume you've got TRVs on all the rads but no room stat, and this causes the boiler to cycle on its own stat.

i take it he just dumped the pressure through the pressure relief valve

how is the pressure now?

I always do that. In so doing, I am confirming the PRV is not stuck to the seat.

Went to a WB once where the PRV was stuck. Boiler did blow a gasket because the PRV would not lift.

how is the pressure now?

Yes I believe he did. The pressure climbed back up to 2.5 overnight so it's back to square one again. :mad:

@ twgas - Do you mean the temp controls on each radiator? If so, yes they each have their own control.

twgas - Do you mean the temp controls on each radiator? If so, yes they each have their own control
So I assume no room 'stat, if you get one fitted it will stop the cycling as it shuts down the boiler when the room gets up to the set temperature.

Neelie, I am surprised by the fact you are here seeking information regards your boiler, yet you call someone who is laking information provided by the regulars on this forum.

Your boiler, I am sure needs to be serviced properly as the manual states. To do anything else is waste of time. Pity a good boiler is being neglected.

DP - the first part of your post didn't really make sense to me :?: Anyway - I posted here after the engineer left and supposedly fixed the boiler - as I have never had this type of boiler I had no idea whether it was doing what it was supposed to have been doing. P.s. I am a tenant - not the owner of this place, and have only lived here for just over two weeks - so yes, I agree that the boiler should have been serviced properly - that would have saved me a whole lot of hassle ;)

As a tenant, you should have sight of a gas safety certificate carried out every 12 months. Boiler repair is a responsibilty of the landlord. If your boiler fails to work get him to fix the boiler or talk to relevant authority to get the house heated adequately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back