Volt free contacts and programmer - Glow Worm 30CI PLUS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a house with a Glow Worm 30CI boiler. It has no external controls so I plan to fit a combined programmer and thermostat across the volt free contacts.

The instructions are clear but they don't seem to indicate I can remove the internal programmer - they're explicit that I *can* if we're to plug in an external unit across the 240 volt connector.

So, can I remove the internal programmer if I am using the VF contacts, or is it a case of leaving it in but programming it to "always on"?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The CI doesn't seem to allow an external programmer, just external 240 volt thermostats - room/frost. You wouldn't remove the internal programmer as the boiler probably wouldn't run without it. It would need to be set to always on.

Could you use a single channel programmer/stat, either on the mains side or volt free side then don't see why not but if the MI says no then if there was a problem the warranty would be void.

Hi Madrab,

Thanks. I can't see any practical issue with a programmer and thermostat across those contacts as they're dumb. There is either an open circuit (no heating demand) or closed (demand). For all the boiler knows, I could wire in a light switch across them. Warranty is moot - boiler is 10 years old and no evidence of annual maintenance record from previous owner.

I had kinda guessed it would be a case of leaving the programmer in and always on ...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ALL boiler controls are simply a switch, some have smart things to tell the switch when to switch over, just be carefull that you dont switch 230v into a 24v switching system, OT and Ebus are different

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back