Volt mod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see there's a product around that promotes itself by suggesting it will cut your electricity bill considerably.
It says it will do this by realigning the current and voltage of the sine wave of AC electricity, and ultimately providing more power for the same amount of money.
I understand in factories and larger commercial installations this can be true, but was not aware in domestic household things would be much out of sync. Just wondered if anyone has came across this or has any knowledge of this in domestic circumstances?

Sponsored Links
Any such product aimed at households is a scam. Factories etc are charged by VA, but households are charged by watts, so even if such products were to adjust the power factor to 1, which they almost certainly won't, it would not save any money.

I see there's a product around that promotes itself by suggesting it will cut your electricity bill considerably.
It says it will do this by realigning the current and voltage of the sine wave of AC electricity, and ultimately providing more power for the same amount of money.
I understand in factories and larger commercial installations this can be true, but was not aware in domestic household things would be much out of sync. Just wondered if anyone has came across this or has any knowledge of this in domestic circumstances?
SNAKE OIL. Report it to Trading Standards.

There was a special distribution unit with a built in auto transformed around the 1980's designed to reduce the power used by fluorescent lamps and power supplies.

However when the switched mode power supply hit the market, the advantage evaporated. However because they did years ago save money, not sure Trading Standards could do much.

Sponsored Links
There was a special distribution unit with a built in auto transformed around the 1980's designed to reduce the power used by fluorescent lamps and power supplies.

However when the switched mode power supply hit the market, the advantage evaporated. However because they did years ago save money, not sure Trading Standards could do much.
What has an auto transformer got to do with this thread which is discussing a power factor adjustment device?

Ok....

I had a bit of a delve into their websites - and I say websites:
Screenshot_20221212-224924_Chrome.jpg
I will let you make the decision whether they are legit or not...

Let's start with their claims:
Screenshot_20221212-225808_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221212-231341_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221212-231420_Chrome.jpg
Seems good to me!

Let's have a quick look at the reviews:
4.7/5 based on 1938 reviews - impressive!
Screenshot_20221212-232750_Chrome.jpg
Funny how the banner isn't clickable, and those numbers are hard coded into the HTML:
1670889264869.png

It's almost as if those numbers are made up????

Now onto the reviews themselves.
Funny how there have been 1938 reviews, but the review section only includes three.
Funny how the British reviewers have very un-British sockets:
Screenshot_20221212-231726_Chrome.jpg
There's a very useful button below the reviews to register whether the review was helpful. When you click the button, your choice is registered.
1670889477677.png

Funny how when you click refresh, the number of helpful reviews reverts back to 24, 18 and 15.
It's almost as if these numbers were hard coded into the HTML:
1670889376597.png

But it is good that these reviews have recent dates, it couldn't be that there is a bit of code to change the dates of the reviews, depending on the date you visit the website:
1670889107551.png

Where data-ago = 4, 6, or 7

Again, I will leave you to make your own opinion on the legitimacy of this product! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It seems not voltage correction but power factor correction, although industrial properties get changed if power factor is not close to unity, I don't think with domestic one is charged anyway.

Watts = Amps x Volts x Power factor correction, and some devices can be up to 0.75 power factor, which means one could gain 25% by correcting, but to correct one first needs to know how far out it is to start with. With industrial units motors and wire wound ballasts will push it in one direction, so capacitors will correct this, but today we use LED lighting not fluorescent which will tend to push it in the other direction, the last thing one wants to do is push it further in that direction, so unless the device can measure the power factor, no point in trying to correct as no idea which direction to go.

My father who has been suckered in the past by scams sent me a link to this asking if it was worth the cost. Guess he's never going to learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back