Voltage and ampage - Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
They must have quite a breaking strain. Any one know what sort of diameter they are close up?
This guy does.... :LOL:

excellent video. Thanks BAS.
Is the 'Arc inducing gadget' he uses to bring him, the helicopter and the line to the same potential gradually. If so does my earlier quote of "Could the act of charging the body ie. capacitance not in certain circumstances etc." apply, or it it just at these extreme voltages.

PS. What would happen if the guy thew his pal on the other phase a mars bar on a bit of 2.5mm twin and earth :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dunno.

I'm just amazed he can actually clamber onto the cables - I'd have thought his cojones would get in the way... :LOL:

I thought it was all to do with how many Joules that decides if you’re killed by an electric shock?
School boy days seem to think a Watt is a Joule per second and a Watt is also Volts x Amps x Pf so I suppose they are all related?
Also ohm is the resistance and is Volts/Amps and while we are at it Siemens are the reciprocal of ohms.
And in dry conditions 50 volts is considered upper safe limit and in wet conditions 12 volt upper safe limit. Also 30ma is upper safe limit. But unsure on latter as it takes 40ms and that’s two cycles so although 30ma may be trip level one can get a much higher current than that for two cycles.
But as to killing anyone with a megger I remember in my younger days walking into a workshop and noting an impulse mag under a vice wired to it. I was expecting someone to try giving me a shock and was waiting for it and as this guy tried to crank the mag I placed my fingers on his neck. I though I would teach him a lesson. It did teach me one. He made one jump then fell to the floor. I though I had killed him, it took a good half hour before he could talk and an hour before he could continue to work we both knew anything said and we would both likely be collecting our cards. It seems he had done it to loads of people with no problems but that one seemed to have nearly killed him. I was about 19 at the time now 57 and I never play giving people shocks just not worth it. As to killing people there is a lot of luck and I would not consider anything over 12 volt as being 100% safe.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the education guys. This is a very educating, interesting and amusing forum. Keep it up people. :D
I also notice the Electrics uk forum is one of the most prolific. Either you guys truly love your subject or have a lot of time for helping people. Either way, Thankyou.
Bas. I have just noticed your posts are 15654 on this tread twice. While this is a huge number of posts, should this have not climed by one each time.

Its scary really, I know a lot of people who have been electricuted by 240v, my ex being one of them thanks to her stupid parents thinking its ok to have an extension wired by untrained polish builders of pakistani origin (don't ask!!!!!). She touched the washing machine and got a massive shock, no burns but spent the night in hopsital :(.

My mum also had a nasty shock when she touched an electric mirror :(.

This thread just shows how easily they could have been killed. I have also suffered an electric shock working on an old style 'AT' PC but I suspect the current was quite minor.

joydivision, the term electrocuted should only be used where the end result is death, anything less is just a shock.

Thankfully your ex and mother were lucky enough to survive.

The amount of electricity needed to kill someone by stopping their heart (as opposed to making them fall 30ft off their ladder) not only relates to the current but also where on the cardiac cycle the shock hits. A defibrillator I use dumps 5000VDC @ approx 70 A over 2.5msec. That current has to overcome the resistance of the chest which varies depending on phase of respiration, hydration levels etc. The current needed to cause the heart to react can be anywhere from 20mA to 120mA depending on patient condition.

There are so many variables in real life that it is impossible to ive an exact figure. I work off the principle if its electric it can kill you. As a youngster I ended up wired in parallel to a 60w bulb on a 240 domestic supply with phase in left hand and neutral in right. I survived but it didn't half sting

Don't worry resq and ericmark, I am not about to play a foolish trick on anyone. Just interested. I work in the construction industry and have seen first hand many times the shocking dangers of electricity. Thankfully not fatal. However in 20 years I have seen two fatalities from fall from heights and materials falling from heights. I think we need to appreciate the dangers of the work place whatever our trade.

Guess thats why sparrows can sit on overhead lines

isnt that because they are perch on one cable so they are at the same potontial as the cable eg no potential difference exists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back