Voltage difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a stud wall and extended the existing wiring for two double sockets by using a block connector and single cable. Does anyone know why one socket would show 240v and the other show 208v please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've recently installed a stud wall and extended the existing wiring for two double sockets by using a block connector and single cable. Does anyone know why one socket would show 240v and the other show 208v please?

Thanks.

How are you measuring that?

Do the sockets seem to work?

With a multimeter.

The 240v socket does, the 208v socket doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Is the circuit a ring final ? If so how have you connected the two sockets with a single cable ?

Sounds like you have a bad connection - it's got a high, but not "infinite", resistance. So when testing with your high impedance voltmeter, you get a reading, but as soon as you apply a load, all the voltage disappears across the high resistance joint. This is the reason why we do certain tests to check work, using equipment that puts a reasonable amount of current through a circuit.
From the way your original post is worded, it sounds like you have done a non-compliant alteration, and quite possibly created a dangerous situation.

Thanks very much John, very much appreciated. I'll have a look in the morning.

Regards.

John.

Sounds like you have a bad connection - it's got a high, but not "infinite", resistance. So when testing with your high impedance voltmeter, you get a reading, but as soon as you apply a load, all the voltage disappears across the high resistance joint. This is the reason why we do certain tests to check work, using equipment that puts a reasonable amount of current through a circuit.
I agree with your conclusion (as I said, it sounds like a poor connection of the neutral at the one socket).

However, as for testing, I suspect that even if someone had just installed an entire sockets circuit, they would probably not "...do certain tests to check work, using equipment that puts a reasonable amount of current through a circuit" at every socket on the circuit, would they? (and, if they didn't, they probably wouldn't detect a problem such as we are postulating in the OP's case at just one socket)

Kind Regards, John

You would as a minimum do L-N and L-E loop tests either around the ring or to every end of a radial (i.e. every branch). If not then you have not adequately tested the circuit. In addition, you would do polarity checks at every socket/outlet - otherwise you risk missing a miswire of the kind that comes up regularly (Birakos Enterprises Limited). And the loop tests would be done with something more than the micro amps a multimeter would put through the circuit.
So while a bad neutral connection could be missed, it would be unlikely - you would need the terminal of a socket to be loose, but the wires to be in good contact.

My guess one reading line - neutral the other reading line - earth, lets see if right.
That's not my understand - which is that one was reading 240V L-N (and 'working') and the other reading 208V L-N (and 'not working) but (following my question) the latter reading 240 L-E ...

... from which I concluded that it's probably a dodgy N connection at the second (208V L-N, with high impedance meter, 'not working') socket.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back