Voltage drop in bell wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get a battery powered (4x1.5v) door bell to strike, when I test it with the cable run of 5/6 metres using 2 strands of a spare phone cable. Short across the terminals on the unit itself and it strikes happily.

Could I be getting voltage drop ?

Sponsored Links
No I've not tried that - thanks, I could try a few more strands of the phone cable (which I embedded in plaster).

Phone cable is a tiny dia. cable, a 2 core speaker cable is bigger at about 0.5, could try that - if I ended up with such a cable wouldn't this flatten the batteries much quicker though ...

wouldn't this flatten the batteries much quicker though
No.
Larger cable = lower resistance in the wires = larger percentage of the power goes to operate the bell, rather than being wasted in the cables.

With properly sized cable, slightly more power will be used, but that's only while the button is being pressed, and is the difference between it working properly or not at all.

Sponsored Links
Bell wire (of old) was substantial stuff, if a pain to work with in confined areas, and designed for the relatively high currents for such bells.
Phone cable (as in internal cable) is quite the opposite and 5/6 meters (x2 really, 10/12m) will have added significant resistance on its own - it was designed for internal telephone use (c. 50mA loop).

Bell wire (of old) was substantial stuff, if a pain to work with in confined areas, and designed for the relatively high currents for such bells.
Phone cable (as in internal cable) is quite the opposite and 5/6 meters (x2 really, 10/12m) will have added significant resistance on its own - it was designed for internal telephone use (c. 50mA loop).
Substantial?
By sheer coincidence I ripped out some bell wire a few days ago, it is the coloured plastic twisted stuff.
I've tried measuring the 7 strands with a cheap electronic vernier, the best I can say is it's about half the size of 0.2mm strands

So (0.1 / 2)²x7xπ=0.055mm²

Telephone cable is 0.5mm So (0.5 / 2)²xπ=0.2mm² or nearly 4 times the size.

I would probably only use telephone cable for door bells and have certainly run significantly more than 5m of the stuff.
At my parents house we had an 'under dome' bell in the garage at the end of the back garden as an extension from the 'ding-dong' with a total run in excess of 40m (possibly more than 50). This successfully ran on telephone 4wire and a Woolworths small brown 8V transformer for 25 years and I'll try to check if it still does at 50 years when we do the next landlords check.

Substantial?
By sheer coincidence I ripped out some bell wire a few days ago, it is the coloured plastic twisted stuff.
I've tried measuring the 7 strands with a cheap electronic vernier, the best I can say is it's about half the size of 0.2mm strands

So (0.1 / 2)²x7xπ=0.055mm²

Nah, old bell wire. The solid (and hence a pain to work with) and substantial stuff. Must have been 1mm² or so each core.
Sounds like you've recovered some old thin speaker wire!

Nah, old bell wire. The solid (and hence a pain to work with) and substantial stuff. Must have been 1mm² or so each core.
Sounds like you've recovered some old thin speaker wire!
Ah, I don't know if I've come across what you describe.
What was sold by Woolworths, and other hardware shops a twice the price, as bell wire is the thin twisted flex in transparent coloured plastic. And yes we used loads of it for loudspeaker work back in the day when a bit of extra resistance hadn't been invented in audio.

What was sold by Woolworths, and other hardware shops a twice the price, as bell wire is the thin twisted flex in transparent coloured plastic. And yes we used loads of it for loudspeaker work back in the day when a bit of extra resistance hadn't been invented in audio.
Not only do I remember it well, but I still have some of it! I can also recall some of the things I used it for (probably around 50 years ago), which I would hesitate to mention here :)

Kind Regards, John

Not only do I remember it well, but I still have some of it! I can also recall some of the things I used it for (probably around 50 years ago), which I would hesitate to mention here :)

Kind Regards, John
It's just occurred to me I may have come across something like you describe a little while back, basically figure of 8 with solid cores but the shape was sort of 2 squares rather than double barrels. It was used for temp sensors in a Honeywell BMS system, I may even still have some in a bag that hasn't got as far as the scrap yard yet.

I expect I still have some old loudspeaker leads made with the twisted stuff in a long since disused suitcase full of PA bits.

That reminds me I really need to sort it out and presumably - get rid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back