voltage drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Iput a message on early bvut no one replied,

Can any of u sparkys explain to me what this voltage grop thing means as i am just doing about it on my sparkys course, its beeen mentioned as im doing series circuits.

Does it mean say if u have 3 resistors one say as a volt drop of 1oov the other 2 say they are the same resistance of 65volt drop, and its a 230v supply . At the 100v resistor does it mean it has lost 130volts worth of pressure at that resistor and the other 2 resistors have lost 165v each at their resistors.

So if the above is right does it also mean that the higher the resistor (ohms) the more voltage that resistor would get around it due to a build up of pressure like sqizzing an hse pipe say the water pressure builds up
behind it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Snowplough,
THiz iz windy up. pleaz chock spollin furst

Snowplough, it did look like a wind up.
Series circuit with 2 resistors of equal value. The supply voltage will be dropped across each resistor equally.ie for a 230v supply 115v will be dropped across each resitor of equal value. if another resistor is added in series of same value then 77 v will be dropped across each resistor. If only 1 resistor then all 230v will be dropped across it. Picture a lamp (bulb) in series with 230v. It must be capable of operating at 230v as it will drop all of the voltage. If you put another 230v lamp in series then you will drop 115v across each. You will have 2 dimly lit lamps. That is why domestic lighting circuits are in parallel as they need to operate at 230v. This is as simple as I could make it. There are lots of other factors which will come later in your training. Hope it helps, please excuse my spelling.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Jack c,

I think i understand most of wot u said,.

Its just this voltage drop thing, does it me like u said with the two resistors that instead of one bulb receiving 230v, they each take half and receive only 115v each.

Many Thanks

i wouldot worry too mucxh about yer spellinng ive struggled being dyslexic all my life :(

Thanks Jack much appreciciated for that .
As i said i am new to the game so i have more questions ten answers.

To alias holmslaw or whatever your called sarcasism is the lowest form of wit .

To alias holmslaw or whatever your called sarcasism is the lowest form of wit .

But it is funny though. :D :p :evil:
Any more help required just ask, its that us old people don't speak text on here.

Hi jackc,

Cheers for that ,will need all the help i can get.
No offense , im not use to your lingo on here,

Regards :
:LOL:

If you have 2 different resistances in series then start by working out the current flowing in the circuit. To do this add the resistances together and divide the voltage across them all by the total resistance I = V/R.

Once you have done this you can calculate the voltage across each resistor by multiplying the resistance by the current flowing through them
i.e. IR = V.

Our lingo is English.

Of the variety you would read in books or newspapers, or hear on radio or TV, or use in a letter applying for a job.

Not the abbreviated kind that you use for SMS communication. It is not dyslexia which causes you to write "u" instead of "you", "i" instead of "I" etc, it is laziness, and if you persist when asked nicely to stop then it is rudeness.

And I'd be interested to know if dyslexia could lead to the egregious spelling mistakes in your posts, or to constructs such as "Its just this voltage drop thing, does it me like u said".

Do you actually read back what you've written, to see if it's OK? Do you bother to use any spelling checkers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back