voltage of electric fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer I was out with my young daughter, she spots a ladybird on this piece of white tape like lookin fence..............................hang on darlin I said, I'll get the little fella for you. You know what happened next! so, out of interest, how much was I zapped with?...........and how do I stop her sayin ****ocks! :oops:

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, they vary from around 2000V to 10,000V depending on what animals are being contained (or kept out).

As for stopping her saying ****ocks, how about teaching her the word F--- or something?

Jeez, with that sort of voltage shouldn't I have been thrown across the field or launched into orbit? I thought livestock were more voltage sensitive tha humans so it was less than 230v

diversion tactiks

don't tell here off just dont react just quickly say somthing like 'baloon" every time she says b00ll0cks

then ocasionaly randomly say baloon and laugh then eventualy she will forget bllxs and remember baloon

but dont laugh if bllxs has been said before baloon

just remember its the reaction they like

you will know it hasnt worked when she goes to bitrhday party and says the "b" word at every ballon she sees :eek:

Sponsored Links
Jeez, with that sort of voltage shouldn't I have been thrown across the field or launched into orbit? I thought livestock were more voltage sensitive tha humans so it was less than 230v

They're current limited to something like 3ma (milli amps) or therabouts.

it's the current, not the voltage thats deadly, although a higher voltage will generally produce a higher current so normally more voltage= worse shock.

oh, and it's your own muscles reacting to voltage that throws you across the room, not the voltage itself...

I felt very very vulnerable in France once. We were on a walk (lost, as if happened, with only our basic french to guide us). There were electric fences all along the walk, white ribbon type things. At one point, all that seperated us from some very angry looking bulls was this ribbon and 10 feet of fresh air. :eek: We walked very slowly and didnt make eye contact :LOL:

We use these:

http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/PageProductList.aspx?SiteCategoryID=22

or these:

http://www.gallagherusa.com/permanent.components.aspx?mktcatid=52

Very effective with cattle or sheep, and hurt like hell if you touch them. A good battery will last a couple of weeks, especially if there is no vegetation touching the wire.

Often when you go to chenge a battery there is a large number of earwigs in the crocodile clip on one of the terminals. I think its the +ve, but can't be sure. Any ideas?

Me and my Brother were out shooting and we had to get across a lecky fence, I held it down with my foot (welly booted) while he stepped over it ... yeh, you've guessed the rest ... foot off, twang went the wire (years ago pre-tape jobbies) into his crotch, zzzz even through his trousers. What a laugh (for me). Good job the guns were in slips :LOL:

Often when you go to chenge a battery there is a large number of earwigs in the crocodile clip on one of the terminals. I think its the +ve, but can't be sure. Any ideas?
That's very strange?! have you tried shouting "Earwig-go Earwig-go Earwig-go" at them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back