Voltage optimisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an enquiry from a customer about fitting one of these.
Never had any experience or knew of anyone having one. I have done a bit of googling and of course all the manufacturers are hailing them as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I am more than willing to fit one and take the money for doing the job , however I would prefer to be honest about the potential benefits to my customer.
Can anyone give me the truth that they are worth the money ?

Sponsored Links
I have done a bit of googling and of course all the manufacturers are hailing them as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
That provides most of your answer - we all know about things which are the greatest since sliced bread!
I am more than willing to fit one and take the money for doing the job , however I would prefer to be honest about the potential benefits to my customer. Can anyone give me the truth that they are worth the money ?
Unless you can find some way of changing teh laws of physics, they offer potential benefit only to those making money out of selling them.

It's total nonsense.

Kind Regards, John.

It will save money on lighting as the lights will not be as bright, but you could just fit lower wattage lamps and acheive the same thing at a much reduced price.

As for things like boiling a kettle, running the washing machine etc, it'll used exactly the same amount of electricity, it'll just take longer to do so.

Things like laptops etc have SMPSs so will compensate for the reduced voltage by increasing their current draw, and using the same amount of power.

Sponsored Links
Deploying such devices to save money on electricity is as people have said snake oil. You might save a bit by making your lights dimmer but the box itself will have losses and SMPSUs actually tend to draw more power when the input voltage is reduced.

The one voltage "optimiser" I have seen "working" was wasting energy by getting warm itself. It only worked up to 1.5 kW load after which it could no longer "control" the voltage.

Do they work ? My opinion is they do reduce the voltage but this does not save energy for the reasons others have already given.

Some of these devices are so badly manufactured they are unsafe.

Something looking remarkable like the Dolphin Smart Electricity Saver ( 2nd item on that link to scams ) was featured on a recent TV program. The case of that plug-in unfused device is flamable plastic as shown in a laboratory test, it burnt dripping burning molten plastic onto the bench. A fire investigation officer was interviewed, he had attended a house fire caused by such a device.

As for things like boiling a kettle, running the washing machine etc, it'll used exactly the same amount of electricity, it'll just take longer to do so.

It'll actually take marginally more :LOL: boiling slower will mean that more heat will be lost to the surroundings during boiling

Things like laptops etc have SMPSs so will compensate for the reduced voltage by increasing their current draw, and using the same amount of power.

Marginally more again; due to the increased volt drop that occurs due to the higher supply current needed

Dom wotsisname has just done a tv program about these, fake britain.

Are these the same thing? Dont work, dont save any money and are potentially dangerous.

Dom wotsisname has just done a tv program about these, fake britain.

Are these the same thing? Dont work, dont save any money and are potentially dangerous.
The one that Dom featured is the one I mentioned above, they are totally and utterly a scam. Nothing more than an incredibly badly made mains powered LED indicator.

The "optimisers" that go in-line with the supply to the CU do reduce the voltage. often by generating an anti-phase voltage and injecting it via a transformer winding in series with the supply Live.

I am aware that some hotels (used to ) "optimise" voltage to lighting circuits in guest rooms to run incandescent lamps at lower voltage. This does have significant cost saving both in electricity used and extended like of lamps. They use simple but large step down transformers in the power intake for this. Some change the tapping to suit time of day.

I am aware that some hotels (used to ) "optimise" voltage to lighting circuits in guest rooms to run incandescent lamps at lower voltage. This does have significant cost saving both in electricity used and extended like of lamps. They use simple but large step down transformers in the power intake for this.
If they were being in any way sensible, I presume that must have been driven by the extended lamp life (and, with the number of lamps involved in a large hotel, maybe it wouldn't take all that long to recoup the capital cost - although I'm doubtful, given the very low cost of bulk incandescent lamps!) - otherwise they could just have used lower wattage lamps!

Kind Regards, John.

If they were being in any way sensible, I presume that must have been driven by the extended lamp life (and, with the number of lamps involved in a large hotel, maybe it wouldn't take all that long to recoup the capital cost - although I'm doubtful, given the very low cost of bulk incandescent lamps!) - otherwise they could just have used lower wattage lamps!
Don't forget that in a hotel the cost of replacing lamps has more components than the cost of the lamps themselves (which is probably the smallest of the amounts).

Don't forget that in a hotel the cost of replacing lamps has more components than the cost of the lamps themselves (which is probably the smallest of the amounts).
Good point, I should have remembered (from all the stories!) that it takes at least three men (and probably a lot of PPE, and maybe a few lunch breaks) "to change a light bulb" :)

Kind Regards, John.

In my day PPE was a degree you did at Oxford if you wanted to become a politician.

I remember reading (some years ago, so I'm sure they've switched to longer life and more efficient types) that in The Pentagon they were replacing literally hundreds of lamps per day, and had several people employed full-time just doing that.

In my day PPE was a degree you did at Oxford if you wanted to become a politician.
Indeed it was - and, AFAIAA, still is!
I remember reading (some years ago, so I'm sure they've switched to longer life and more efficient types) that in The Pentagon they were replacing literally hundreds of lamps per day, and had several people employed full-time just doing that.
I can well believe it. When I moved into my current (pretty large!) house just over 25 years ago, I found myself faced with something like 100 lamps (bulbs in those days!), many being (expensive) candle bulbs - seemingly the then-equivalent of 'downlighters'! Regular orders of £50+ worth of lamps (1980s £s) were a significant 'running cost' in those days!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back