Voltage testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy my first voltage tester and was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular model they have experience with.

Obviously I want GS38 leads, and preferably voltage indicator rather than a test lamp. Someone mentioned to me they had heard of a Steinel tester that had GS38 leads that still easily fitted into a ceiling rose? I was also looking for something that could preferably verify polarity (mainly so I can test single pole for those difficult ones!!)

Sponsored Links
SparkInTheDark said:
I need to buy my first voltage tester and was wondering if anyone could recommend a particular model they have experience with.

Obviously I want GS38 leads, and preferably voltage indicator rather than a test lamp. Someone mentioned to me they had heard of a Steinel tester that had GS38 leads that still easily fitted into a ceiling rose? I was also looking for something that could preferably verify polarity (mainly so I can test single pole for those difficult ones!!)

i have a steinel tester. must have had it about 5 years and its still goin strong, apart from the lead gettin damaged and replaced once

Be wary though, I am led to believe the new Steinels come with a longer tip than GS38 allows.

Sponsored Links
Surprisingly the fluke range do not appear to comply with GS-38. The tips are too large and no finger barriers. The fact it has a settable range on it makes it unsuitable to be a proper voltage detection instrument. Fluke are meant to be the bees-knees, but I don't know what they are playing at!!

I've had these beasties since I was knee high to a grass hopper, but as you can see they have worn it well, and still work a treat.

martindales.jpg

I actually have a set of flukes like reggie linked to, which are a really nice bit of kit. (even though they arnt GS38 compliant) I have had to fit heat shrink to the end of the probes as there is about 10mm of exposed tip on the end of them.

That one looks like it has seen life RF, remember to hide the fluke when you get inspected lol.
I think I still have a square d vibrating tester somewhere in my old toolbox, not very compliant by todays standards lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back