Testing for dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not want to pinch some one else post and so have started this.
With the post "table lamp fault" there was a
link which talks about the non-contact voltage detectors.
In that write up from fluke they refer to testing before and after the test and I am sure we have all used proper proving units with the testers similar to this
VT12.png
with something like this
pd240.png
but these testers and proving units have a hard wired connection and do not require any ground or aerial to work.
With the volt sticks we would rub them on our jumpers to see if battery is OK but this could hardly be considered as a proving unit.
Although as a safety item the use of volt sticks and neon screwdrivers may serve as a second string to warn I would never consider no light from either to be proving dead.

However this
1. Always verify that the voltage detector is working properly before you rely on it. Use the detector to test a known live circuit both before and after you test an unknown circuit, and make sure it gives you the proper response. The same practice applies to multimeters. If there is any doubt in your mind about whether the circuit is truly live or dead, use an additional method to verify the test results. You only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile.

Note: Some voltage detectors, such as the updated Fluke 1AC II, have a self-test function built-in that will verify whether the detector is operational.
makes one question their use, in the main what is required to "verify that the voltage detector is working properly" as I would not expect any proving unit since a isolated supply will light a volt stick?
I had my 12vdc to 230vac 150W inverter strapped to a lead acid battery about 3Ah that I used as a proving unit and that does not light a volt stick.

There is a warning about voltage and different units being sensitive to different levels and this has been talked about before. Should the proving unit be able to deliver a range of voltages so we can both prove the 500vac lamp works and also more important the 50vac lamp will light at 50vac?

Love to hear what others think.

See for example of what I mean all voltages tested not just 500v.

Sponsored Links
Do Martindale mind you hotlinking from their website?

I just use the older style Martindale tester with the neon lamps in it and their proving unit. I would not use volt stick type for anything other than a casual check.

Do Martindale mind you hotlinking from their website?

Do you know what? It gets their products displayed in more places, so why not. If they didn't want to allow it, they should take measures to prevent it.

Sponsored Links
By hotlinking, you're not copying.

Copying a picture from a web site may elicit a letter from a solicitor looking for a payment to the copyright holder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back