Approved Voltage Indicator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NIC Geezer has told me i need an approved voltage indicator, but i can get one which is elf proving rather than have to buy a proving unit. Can any1 point me in the right direction were to get one?
Why isn't it acceptable to to test on known source to prove instrument working, isolate, then test installation dead?

Sponsored Links
You can get one with a self check such as the a Stienel Combicheck, though this is more like a lamp test and cable continuity check. For what it is worth as long as you are using an approved voltage indicator (to GS38) proving before and after checking the isolation you will be OK. What did the NIC guy recommend?

Sponsored Links
My NIC DI assesor was alright with me using the incomming side of the isolator to use as a prooving source. So long as you are using a voltage meter rather that an indicator (neon screwdriver) you should be OK.

Just prove it works, then test for dead, then prove it still works.

Don't know if it's different for full approved though

NIC Bloke reconds that proving on known live source is not good enough, a proving unit or self proving indicator is needed! Bit over the top if you ask me

I have always been taught never to use a meter to test isolations as they can be misread, set incorrectly etc. I have been taught since I started my apprenticship many many moons ago to always use an approved voltage indicator (GS38). This is by no stretch of the imagination a neon screwdriver!!

But does any1 know of a self proving voltage indicator? NIC geezer said 'style' make one where you put probes together and they go thro self check. Has any1 heard of it, cos i cant find it on net?

I can't see why you can't prove it on another circuit, or if worst comes to the worst, on your IR tester!

New2Game said:
NIC Bloke reconds that proving on known live source is not good enough, a proving unit or self proving indicator is needed! Bit over the top if you ask me

He is talking out of his bottom. You should always prove isolation, but any source will do and the incoming side of the main isolator is by far the most convenient source most of the time.

Are those the test probes that trip RCDs when testing voltage between live and earth? ;)

Yeh, you have to do a test between phase and neutral then do the phase & earth within 5 secs.... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back