Voltages for cordless drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having bought a cheap 18v drill and later chuked it out, I've come to the opinion that the voltage is irrelevant, what matters is the amp hour capacity of the battery.
Am I right in thinking that if I get a drill that has a low voltage (14) but a high amp hour, it will drain the battery quicker than another drill with the same amp hour but a higher voltage?

Sponsored Links
No.

Your thinking is not correct. and you really dont want to know why as its very boring.

But you may want to know cheap batteries do not help

volts the engine
amps the fuel tank

prerformance off the motor can vary being more or less efficient

also the gearing will effect performance
not just the one and two positions but the ratios used before the gear box

lower the speed greater the power but slower progress

Sponsored Links
Also speaking of gears. Never lend your mates your drill! I lent mine to a mate and came back with the driver bit in the chuck with the speed on the highest gear! God knows what kind of damage that can do to the drill if driving at that gear ratio! :rolleyes:

Also when I was a school boy i lent my Honda 90 to a mate, he must have pulled away in 3rd every time because in a short afternoon he managed to blow the big end.

And why is it women do the exact opposite thing to a car gearbox to that which looks after it. I think it's driving instructors revenge. So I started buying my wife automatic cars, but that didn't work because she broke those aswell.

Paul, in fairness to all things mechanical and the environment, it's a skateboard for her then!

What about Li-on batteries? should I be going down this route? what's the pro's n con's?

Also when I was a school boy i lent my Honda 90 to a mate, he must have pulled away in 3rd every time because in a short afternoon he managed to blow the big end.

That reminds me when I was a schoolboy I had a mate who wrote off three Honda 50s in a matter of a few months. I was pillion when he despatched the second one. We knocked over a cow.

So? Li-ion batteries huh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Paul, in fairness to all things mechanical and the environment, it's a skateboard for her then!

What about Li-on batteries? should I be going down this route? what's the pro's n con's?

i have several high use ryobi one + tools 1/4" router/trimmer 50mm planer citcular saw

in the past i would take 4 or 5 1.7or 2 ah batts to make shure i had enough charge as you cant tell the charge level

but now with only 2+ 2.4 ah lions top up charged as nessisery i take a normal battery in case but never have had to use it except if i take a third tool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back