VW Beetles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
Im looking for a classic vw beetle for the missus when she passes her test, as she loves them.
I was pretty good on cars in my younger days ( I think we all had to be repairing things etc!)
So I have heard they are pretty basic for repairs.
It will be used as an every day car, but only low mileage to and from work, about 100 miles a week, are they up for every day use at 30+ years old?
Just wondering if theres any beetle fans here that can give me some buying advice etc, what to look out for on them.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
buy one thats been extensively overhauled,they rust everywhere from the floor up,mechanically they are ok and spares are readily available

Especially they rust at the rear chassis members (along the bottom of the rear wheel wells). They are pretty basic (easy) to work on and spares are readily available. So the watchwords are bodywork, bodywork,bodywork!
Best of luck

Sponsored Links
battery box's rust out, sills, frame heads can be expensive.

What year are you after?.

floors behind seats rust out.
loads of replacement panels around and very cheap
£20 half a floor

Also, bear in mind that as they are air-cooled, they are not so good at coping with sitting in traffic, or hot weather. And we seem to have a lot more of both these days......

johnny_t said:
Also, bear in mind that as they are air-cooled, they are not so good at coping with sitting in traffic, or hot weather. And we seem to have a lot more of both these days......

Not true regarding hot weather and sitting in traffic.
I have a 1959 VW Karmann Ghia with a 1671 tp. ours will easily do 90+ on a motorway. Without signs of overheating, and sitting in traffic isnt a problem. it depends on the condition of the engine.

Make sure the heating is ok, and the flaps work

Bettles have been sold world wide and untill recently were still made in brazil/ mexico.

Im sure our hottest days are no where near those of where the cars have been sold.

try to get a decent pre 1967 or a Karmann Bettle Vert or save and get a Karmann ghia

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND LOOK HERE AT A SITE DEDICATED TO VW'S

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/index.php?s=046e7bbf68cd12624a6e72960c06e5a9&

Sponsored Links
Back