VW Bora TDi rear brake caliper pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This pipe consists of a flexi pipe knuckled on to a rigid pipe and I've had to buy a new one because the two washers that seal it on the the caliper are not available without the pipe.

Does anyone know if the short flexi-pipe adjacent to the rear subframe where this pipe joints onto is safe to nip while fixing the new pipe so I prevent brake fluid loss?

Its the near-side one by the way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These alloy washers certainly used to be available from VW.....used to do them all the time, but not so many recently.
By all means clamp the flexy pipe but do use the correct clamp (not Mole grips, ideally)!
When I do these, I make sure that the unions come free, one at a time - and then I replace the pipe as not much fluid is lost anyway....just keep an eye on the master cylinder.
You could always just use the new washers, and leave the pipe alone.....
John :)

Thanks for that.

Sadly I have to replace the pipe as I damaged the flexi part with the mole grips trying to nip it when my trusted Sykes Pickavent brake pipe clamp failed to stop the flow.

I'll see how the job goes, hopefully hastle free!

For future refference BMW sump copper washers are a good replacement for these ally VW washers ;)

Although the short flexi pipe seems stiff it can be squished with a pipe clamp or other dull gripping device :!:

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough, I've used Nissan sump seal washers as a replacement :p
I'm not so sure about the washers being formed with the banjo bolt though - I thought it was due to the compression and deformation of the washer that made them difficult to remove.

I've got the job done. The only hassle was getting the caliper piston back and getting the flexi sealed onto the caliper due to rust/dirt on the face.

Its the first time I've done a caliper type handbrake. I assume the handbrake link is unhooked when changing the pads on Boras so you can un-bolt and lift the caliper away ?

Thanks for the above posts.

No need mate - usually its sufficient to unclip the solid pipe from the subframe which gives you enough movement to get the extractor in. (If its the same as a Golf etc).

Sponsored Links
Back