Brake fluid leakage when changing a pipe/hose!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2009 Hyundai i20 1.4

Since there's no flexi pipe to nip upstream, can the rigid/hose, 58738D in the the diagram, be changed without major loss of fluid?

full

Sponsored Links
Take the reservoir cap off, cover the open thread with a plastic carrier bag or similar, refit the cap. No air can then get in the reservoir so no loss of fluid. (y)

Thanks Motman, I'll give that a try.

If I were to fit a plastic bag with push down in to the reservoir a bit, secure it with an elastic band, then pull the bag taught so it pulls out of the reservoir ans creates a bit of a vacuum perhaps.

Spend plenty of time making sure all of the pipe ends can actually come undone, and that includes the caliper nipple. If they do, you should be able to swap the pipe over in no time - ensuring the master cylinder has plenty of fluid in it :mrgreen:
I keep the odd dust cap handy, great for plugging the pipe ends, male or female.
I don't always find capping the master cylinder effective, especially if it includes the clutch cylinder too - but that may just be me.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just to be sure, I usually pop one of these in.
I never cap the master cylinder either. I just blank it off then I have as long as I want to do what I want to do.

Attachments

• blank ends.jpg
    blank ends.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Smart stuff (y)
I find the dust cap nipple cover does the male, and those caps from fuel filters or whatever sorts the female.
Best not to press the brake pedal though :eek:
John :)

I've got a BluePrint brand pipe, Blue Print seemingly a respectable brand.

Will fit when nature turns off the water sprinklers.

Back