VW Caddy, Crunching gears,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started and only on first selecting a gear in the morning. Happens selecting first or reverse. Any ideas lads.

Sponsored Links
How does the clutch pedal feel......are you able to press it right down?
Cold weather does accentuate gear selection issues, due to the oil being very thick.
John :)

How does the clutch pedal feel......are you able to press it right down?
Cold weather does accentuate gear selection issues, due to the oil being very thick.
Hi John, thanks for the quick reply. clutch pedal feels normal and goes to the floor (One of these clutch pedal down to start engine types). It is due an engine service. Are engine and gearbox sharing the same oil?

No, the engine and transmission have separate lubrication.
A thinner gear oil may help, but this issue is usually down to the clutch in one form or another.
How many miles have you done, and does the clutch pedal feel a little heavy to you?

Sponsored Links
2015 plate with around 47k (ex BG van) and pedal feels the same, Van was jumping a little after gear changes the other day but I put that down to me wearing wellies. Did around 40 miles without fault today with normal shoes on once we got over the first gear change of the morning.

What does a heavy pedal indicate?

A heavy clutch pedal, or one with a limited travel before it ‘bites’ indicates a clutch that is showing its age.
I can’t say if this is the issue in your case!
So long as the van doesn’t jump when you put it into gear, I wouldn’t worry about it for now, as any investigation would probably mean a new clutch and of course the dreaded dual mass flywheel.
The clutch friction plate has a diaphragm spring with many fingers which are depressed when you press the clutch pedal......if one or more of these fingers becomes weak for some reason, you get some clutch drag.
John

So long as the van doesn’t jump when you put it into gear, I wouldn’t worry about it for now, as any investigation would probably mean a new clutch and of course the dreaded dual mass flywheel.
The clutch on our old diesel Golf started slipping a few years ago. I bought a new Sachs clutch and DMF kit - trade, it cost me £250.02. The clutch got better before I got round to fitting it. I’ve done at least 15,000 more miles in the car since then and it’s still going strong. Too late to return the kit now for a refund. Unless it goes on me, I can see me giving that kit away with the car when we eventually get round to selling it! I haven’t fitted a clutch to a car for at least 5 years now - not looking forward to doing this one either - a bit of a bugger to do on the floor. :(

John
The van doesnt jump just makes the horrible head turning crunching noise first thing and only the first gear selection of the day which I dont understand as to my mind shouldnt it happen every time I go from from neutral to a gear?

"Dreaded duel mass flywheel", why dreaded other than cost? Sorry for dumb questions.

The clutch on our old diesel Golf started slipping a few years ago. I bought a new Sachs clutch and DMF kit - trade, it cost me £250.02. The clutch got better before I got round to fitting it. I’ve done at least 15,000 more miles in the car since then and it’s still going strong. Too late to return the kit now for a refund. Unless it goes on me, I can see me giving that kit away with the car when we eventually get round to selling it! I haven’t fitted a clutch to a car for at least 5 years now - not looking forward to doing this one either - a bit of a bugger to do on the floor. :(
"The clutch got better"
Something else I struggle with as most thing get worse with wear.

If your clutch was working 100% then gear selection would be silent.
Clearly it isn't.......the input shaft to the gearbox is still turning where ideally it wouldn't be.
The clutch issue could be due to what I mentioned in post #8 or it could be due to clutch dust building up on the friction plate and input shaft.
Anyway......the problem is accentuated by the gearbox oil being thick due to the cold.....a thinner grade could help - this is why it only crunches the once, then the oil film is disturbed for the rest of the day.
Try waiting a second or two once you've started up and keeping the pedal depressed, before you go for a gear. Sometimes going into second before engaging first can also help, but that won't work with reverse.

Dual mass flywheels are two flywheels bolted together with a spring and rubber sandwich in between.
They are produced to help cope with the high speeds and torque that modern diesels give.......a few years ago they weren't necessary.
They work very well indeed, but if the two flywheel halves start to part after a high mileage they give a clunking or knocking sound before giving up altogether.
It's the cost of the things that is heavy - and it's pointless just renewing the clutch alone when the vehicle has been dismantled to such a degree.

"The clutch got better"
Something else I struggle with as most thing get worse with wear.
Yep, I can’t understand it either. I don’t generally go around laying out two hundred and fitted quids here there and everywhere that doesn’t need spending.

Sponsored Links
Back