VW Caddy vans

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my van new in 2007
Front wheel arches are showing signs of paint blistering/ corrosion

I know someone who had his wings replaced on his saloon VW. Can someone advice how I could check if the van has same 12 year warranty as the car please

TIA

Dan

Sponsored Links
Only back to VW I'm afraid Dan - this is caused by the inner plastic arches rubbing on the underside of the wing. VW may start to wriggle unless you've been back for any 'underbody inspection' - just as Nissan are doing with the chassis issues on their pickup.
John :)

Amazing how when you put your car in for service the main agents never tick the corrosion inspection section.

I'd take it back. The previous owner of my 55reg Golf had the front wings replaced under warranty due to corrosion.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
EE8D164A-BA4B-49AA-A95A-05A57DDFADDC.jpeg
F1B3E60E-033F-44FF-AB33-8AB77D16BC96.jpeg
4C900AD7-E5B2-4E53-89FB-94387E7143CB.jpeg
E1E1FEC7-1AC7-408B-90C3-8BCC8C905DE6.jpeg
Thanks for the replies chap

Took the van to VW dealership. The relevant guy looks at the wheel arc and says the paint is (stone) chipped. Of course the paint is chipped, not by stone but from defect. I am booked to she the paint shop guys that deal for such issues to let them decide

Am booked to see the relevant people on Wednesday

Can I get some advise and information on how to proceed if they try to shirk the warranty repair

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• F793B4C5-939D-44D1-95B6-082D83C23262.jpeg
    F793B4C5-939D-44D1-95B6-082D83C23262.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 96
This is corrosion from behind the wheel arch and any suggestion that it is from chipping is nonsense. It's due from the arch liner rubbing through the original paint.
As I said earlier they may start squealing and mention a yearly corrosion inspection.
Say that you clean the vehicle underside regularly and it is most certainly nothing that you could have possibly done.
I do hope you get a good result here and do let's know!

• Thanks
Isn't it caused by the use of wheel arch liners made from some soft material that seems absorbent? Common problem on VW's BMW's and Mercs of that era.

Any arch liner that can rub on the inner curve of the wing can cause corrosion there, on any make. It's probably a good idea to drop the liners out and apply your own paint but manufacturers wouldn't agree!
The soft liners are supposed to deaden the road noise somewhat but they sure retain moisture.

It's not so much the plastic liner that does the damage, more the road grit that gets trapped between the liner and the paint and then "sandpapers" its way through the paint, carried by the plastic liner. Some cars are better than others in that respect though.

• Thanks
I blame soft liners. Pressure wash under your wheelarches and your car will last a lot longer

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back