VW Caddy AGAIN FFS

No personal experience, but the trade report frequent failures of these ultra high output, low capacity turbocharged units, developed for very low emissions ......every manufacturer is using them, and for sure I'd be very wary of a high mileage one.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've taken many an A series round the clock, but have no experience of these small turbos.

A different kettle of fish, mate- some of these engines seem to be stressed to the limit, and high service intervals aren't helping either. Turbos are running at huge temperatures and drivers don't wait for them to cool. Something has to give!

An A series will rattle on till it dies. Some of these modern engines have 2 turbos or one turbo and a supercharger. I can't see them lasting longer than the warranty period.

Sponsored Links
Not exactly on topic, but have you read of the latest wheeze ? A tiny, super-fast electric motor which spins up the turbo pdq to eliminate turbo-lag until the gas-flow takes over.

By the way, which A-series are you referring to ?

Me too. The way Austin/ Morris/ BMC/ BL/ ARG/ Rover stretched the lifespan of that engine, you don't have to be too old to have driven a vehicle with one in!

Didn't we all cut our teeth on these? 3 main bearing crank, fine below 1000cc but used to whip like hell at higher capacities :eek:

Have you tried a spare key, DP? The barrel needs to turn to shift it.

Have tried both keys to the point any more force would break the keys.
Am a little sick of this ‘German build quality’ van

Hired a van for two days, it had bells and whistles germans can only dream of putting in their high price models

I was referring to the BMC A series, Minis , Morris Minors, A40's ...

Well that's the only A Series I'm acquainted with, but in the context of the discussion , I thought it must refer to some VW or maybe Ford unit.

Hired a van for two days, it had bells and whistles germans can only dream of putting in their high price models
And which one was that, pray?
Maybe you have found your next van....

DP's van looks like it's going to be off the road for 5 weeks :eek:
5 weeks? What the hell is going on??? A working vehicle needs to be on the road pronto....no bloody point in having the thing otherwise :( Crap with a capital C.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Back