VW Caddy AGAIN FFS

Burner an, having to cancel some calls, others I hire a van for

Today I stripped the area around the ignition barrel, tomorrow I deliver the 'ignition moulding/ steering' lock to the mechanic to sort.

Sponsored Links
Fellas, yesterday I removed the ignition lock from the steering

I think I have damaged the switch module that fits to the left but am at this moment in time not concerned about that as will deal with this minor issue when time come to head butt that problem

The alloy housing now has the ignition barrel on the right and steering lock bolt
When the key is turned, the bolt pulls down but key will not advance from that point forward
Releasing the key will result in steering bolt coming back up.

Due to above, i cannot position the barrel to align with hole that will enable barrel removal

Is there anywhere I can purchase a new barrel or a complete unit
Van is stranded outside the house. Can have it recovered to the garage. With long delay in getting the barrel, feel van is in good place at the moment

Mechanic will be given the removed part today to remove the barrel and carry out the repair with replacement barrel. Once he has sorted this, will get AA recovery on flatbed to the garage to have everything put together. Mechanic is a client so he is bending over backwards to assist.

Sponsored Links
I reckon the lock has dismantled itself inside, and the mechanic will have to drill it out, or similar.
Happy to hear he's going the extra mile to help though!
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Today took the ignition/ steering lock thingy to the mechanic who then asked me to visit spares stockist and pay for the spare.

I understand the ring around the ignition barrel is a pickup that sees the key code and presents this to another ecu that then compares the code to what is in the programme. The Spares person said the ring is the reader that only works with its key for that barrel
Anyway, he was going on about ignition barrel needing to be made for the van. I have now ordered the complete unit comprising barrel, steering lock and ignition switch that is expected to be with me on Friday but key will need to be coded and will end up with two keys- one for doors and another for the ignition.

With that order in place, I flooded the existing unit with WD40 and managed to move the barrel to point where the it could be extracted.

Barrel came out quite easily. Further stripping revealed mangled spring that was fouling the steering lock bolt.

Will hopefully fit the existing barrel to new cylinder/ steering lock unit

Will post final result once the van is working.

Thank you every who came to my aid.

Today picked up the parts from VW parts
Fitted original key barrel into the cylinder that has the steering lock and switch
Had also ordered a new key barrel which is spare for the time being

Put it all together and van is now running
Hire van goes back tomorrow
Thankfully I am now back on the road with my van

Big thank you all that came to my assistant

Dan

BMC A series, Minis , Morris Minors, A40's but I am old...

I'm not that old but
My 'A' series history
803cc (A30) engine died when the water pump failed at 200000 miles
850cc (mini van) bought having been rebuilt with 'big' valve head was still going strong when sold with 75000 miles.
850cc (mini countryman) - had one 'careful' (read careless) lady owner, engine died the morning after I bought it, decoked and new oil pump, needed new main bearings but was still running 5 years later.
1100cc Moggy Van - 250000 miles, never missed a beat; van killed by low flying Ford Grenada.
1300cc Allegro - 100000 miles, new owner did another 100000 miles before car failed MOT.
1275cc MG Metro - 145000 miles, when sold on still doing 42MPG, engine quiet as a new one.
All had oil changes at 6000 miles.

Tale of woe
VW Golf Mk1, 1100 cc, unfixable Oil leak from 6500 miles. Battery every 6 months (not large enough capacity).

Today picked up the parts from VW parts
Fitted original key barrel into the cylinder that has the steering lock and switch
Had also ordered a new key barrel which is spare for the time being

Put it all together and van is now running
Hire van goes back tomorrow
Thankfully I am now back on the road with my van

Big thank you all that came to my assistant

Dan

Pleased that episode has been sorted Dan - good luck with the corosion issue, of you have any energy left!

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I'm not that old but
My 'A' series history
803cc (A30) engine died when the water pump failed at 200000 miles
850cc (mini van) bought having been rebuilt with 'big' valve head was still going strong when sold with 75000 miles.
850cc (mini countryman) - had one 'careful' (read careless) lady owner, engine died the morning after I bought it, decoked and new oil pump, needed new main bearings but was still running 5 years later.
1100cc Moggy Van - 250000 miles, never missed a beat; van killed by low flying Ford Grenada.
1300cc Allegro - 100000 miles, new owner did another 100000 miles before car failed MOT.
1275cc MG Metro - 145000 miles, when sold on still doing 42MPG, engine quiet as a new one.
All had oil changes at 6000 miles.

Tale of woe
VW Golf Mk1, 1100 cc, unfixable Oil leak from 6500 miles. Battery every 6 months (not large enough capacity).

It was a popular move of mine to put an 1100 lump into a mini but keep the original diff.....the extra revs killed them pretty quickly :eek:
Mind you, the engines were probably junk to start with :D
The 1100 had a crankshaft damper front pulley that sorted crankshaft whip rather well.

Sponsored Links
Back