vw golf 1.6 gl mrk 3 ignition problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the car doesn't want to start its not doing anything when i turn the key it was makin a dul tone, and then this mornin it wouldn't start and was makin a high pitch wine noise iv read things about gettin a new ignition switch and testing the solornoid if a new switch is needed will i have to change my key or the transmitter in the key????

Sponsored Links
ill give it a go ill get a mate to try tomorrow but if that was the case wouldn't all the instruments stop workin like the lights and radio?

Not necessarily...there's a chance that the starter motor isn't engaging, hence the curious noises. This Golf is a fairly conventional model so either way there's no problem with the ignition key. Post back tomorrow with more details.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Your battery can be almost completely flat but still supply 12v for the instruments but when you put a load on it e.g. the starter, it can drop to near zero - poor battery connections can have the same effect.

well iv had the battery checked yday and they told me it was at 70%
and this morning it wouldn't start so my m8 came with some jumper cables, and we struggled then as well. So i think the next thing ill do is check the starter motor

Sounds very much like a duff starter motor. The whining noise you describe, sounds like the starter motor isn't engaging with the starter ring on the engine.

If it is the starter and you need to change it, be careful to remove the old one squarely as there is a little brass bush on the end of shaft which if not careful drops into the bottom of the bellhousing :evil:

hey iv have changed the starter motor the old one had a broken bush so there was alot of movement on it which is why it might not have been engaging in the right place at the moment the car seems to be runnin so fingers crossed and thank you to all that gave me sound advice

Sponsored Links
Back