VW Polo burning oil

Sorry for the bump but was this ever resolved?

2003 VW Polo 1.2 55 3-cylinder sohc with 83k mileage. It runs fine, no misfire, no knocking, and no lack of power – he says 4th gear is a bit sluggish but it picks up well in 5th - and no smoking from exhaust. There is no oil in the water or vice-versa. There is no soapy residue on the filler cap but the top to the expansion tank does smell a little of burnt petrol – I know petrol won't be in here but that's the best description I can think of – but not the normal head gasket failure smell.

The main issue he's got is that he has to fill up between half a litre and a litre of oil every 2-3 days after travelling no more than 100 miles in that time; otherwise the oil level low light comes on. It's not a faulty oil switch as the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick or not there at all. Curiously the oil is a shiny silver colour – rather than dirty black or clear yellowy-orange - on the bottom of the dipstick but with it being filled so regularly I don't think it's unusual as the new oil mixes with the older oil still in the sump. He's using the recommended 5w30 fully synthetic to top up.

We've tried removing the oil filler cap with the engine running and the revs drop to almost stalling, put cap back on and revs return to normal tick-over.

He first noticed the problem when he had a large amount of white smoke pulling off at a roundabout, there was that much smoke he thought he'd used the wrong fuel at first but checked his receipt and it was correct. It cleared after little more than a second, and only returns on start-up and when the engine is first started. The car had stood for a month prior to this journey so may be something or nothing.

I'd think if it was valve seals or piston rings that the oil would have to be free-flowing past and down the exhaust to lose the amount he is but the exhaust fumes are quite clear and there's no liquid, either water or oil, coming out of the exhaust.

I've been looking for oil marks on the road under the car and noticed this morning patches made obvious by the rain

I've got it booked into an independent trustworthy garage on Thursday but wondered if anyone had any suggestions to check out before taking it in?

Sponsored Links
Whilst at risk of stating the bloomin' obvious, Ellie, your car is either burning this oil or leaking it somewhere.....
If it came to me, I'd change the oil and filter (probably going up to a 10/40 grade oil) and then I'd monitor its consumption very carefully.
Assuming there are no leaks, I'd follow the car as it was being driven, and I'd expect to see (or smell) significant fume coming out of the tailpipe.
I don't know what the puff of white smoke you mentioned was - but only on the coldest days would you expect to see steam coming out of the exhaust.
The revs dropping with the oil cap off is a usual thing, by the way.
John :)

Whilst at risk of stating the bloomin' obvious, Ellie, your car is either burning this oil or leaking it somewhere.....
If it came to me, I'd change the oil and filter (probably going up to a 10/40 grade oil) and then I'd monitor its consumption very carefully.
Assuming there are no leaks, I'd follow the car as it was being driven, and I'd expect to see (or smell) significant fume coming out of the tailpipe.
I don't know what the puff of white smoke you mentioned was - but only on the coldest days would you expect to see steam coming out of the exhaust.
The revs dropping with the oil cap off is a usual thing, by the way.

Lol :D

Changed the filter, couldn't get the sump off to do the oil over the weekend as hadn't got the right adaptor (everything but!) so the full oil change will have to wait until the weekend.

It's my lads car, costing him a fortune to keep topping the oil up at present but with no obvious signs of leakage its a bloody mystery where the oil is vanishing too because it doesn't look at all like its burning it.

Thanks for the headsup on the oil cap, we weren't sure as not all cars drop revs with them off do they?

Thanks John
x

You are correct - not all cars drop the revs with the oil cap off....its all to do with the emissions these days, as any air chuffing around in the engine has to be burnt rather than just lost to outside.
No matter with that one, but depending on how far you want to go, I would expect to see fouled spark plugs at the vey least as your oil consumption is ridiculously high - I'm also intrigued by your comment re the 'silver' oil!
Anyway, when your garage reports back, do consider carefully the costs of rectification.....it may be time to say farewell!

Sponsored Links
You are correct - not all cars drop the revs with the oil cap off....its all to do with the emissions these days, as any air chuffing around in the engine has to be burnt rather than just lost to outside.
No matter with that one, but depending on how far you want to go, I would expect to see fouled spark plugs at the vey least as your oil consumption is ridiculously high - I'm also intrigued by your comment re the 'silver' oil!
Anyway, when your garage reports back, do consider carefully the costs of rectification.....it may be time to say farewell!

Farewell isn't an option really, he's only had it a few weeks so would take a bigger hit getting rid than fixing it I think.

Spark plugs were incredibly crappy, didn't look like they had been changed in a very long time. Hopefully he'll pick up a new set on his way home from work and those can be changed tonight.

We'd budgeted around £600 for Valve Seals on it and he did pay a lot less than book price for the car so I guess now we need to see what the guy says on Thursday. I was just making sure I'm not missing anything really obvious before I take it in and that I've covered all the usual reasons really.

I knew I should have got him a push bike!!!

Worn valve stem oil seals manifest themselves by oil being burnt (blue smoke) after the car has been standing over night, for example.
Personally I don't think stem seals would account for consumption such as this.
Its possible to change some engine stem seals with the cylinder head in situ, but I don't know if this is the case with this one.
I would suspect that the car has worn pistons and cylinders really, and if this is the case then its best to exchange the entire engine.
Maybe the fact that the plugs were difficult to remove may indicate that the engine hasn't seen much TLC with its previous owner(s)?
Keep an eye on the piggy bank, Ellie :p

Worn valve stem oil seals manifest themselves by oil being burnt (blue smoke) after the car has been standing over night, for example.
Personally I don't think stem seals would account for consumption such as this.
Its possible to change some engine stem seals with the cylinder head in situ, but I don't know if this is the case with this one.
I would suspect that the car has worn pistons and cylinders really, and if this is the case then its best to exchange the entire engine.
Maybe the fact that the plugs were difficult to remove may indicate that the engine hasn't seen much TLC with its previous owner(s)?
Keep an eye on the piggy bank, Ellie :p

As I said we had noticed no oil leak at all despite studying where the car had been parked overnight, then this morning, with the rain, I woke up to this:

zl56rm.png

Called the boy who told me he's had to top up this morning, and whilst he admits the funnel probably dripped as he was returning it to the boot he swears he didn't spill any around the front of the car. I'm hoping having seen the amount of oil on the road (which incidentally has vanished now the street is dry) that its something as simple as an oil leak.

As you say, an eye needs to be kept on the spends now. Any more than £600 and I think he's going to have to take the hit. Fortunately the mechanic is a good friend :)

I don't normally like to see oil leaks, but in this case I do :p
Time to get the car up on the ramp and have a good look around!
We'd be interested to hear the result on this one.

I don't normally like to see oil leaks, but in this case I do :p
Time to get the car up on the ramp and have a good look around!
We'd be interested to hear the result on this one.

Looks a good one doesn't it? As I said now the road is dry there isn't a sign, so all the time we have been looking for oil on our drive and the road we probably wouldn't have seen it.

Fingers crossed its something simple like a cracked sump or a seal. Will let you know when we discover whats going on.

Tonight its going in the garage with a tray underneath so we can monitor what (if anything) comes back out.

:D

I'm afraid that I don't know this engine Ellie - but if you mean that the hollows in the cylinder head casting that the plugs drop in to are full of oil, then thats a different thing to cylinder and piston wear.
So - with the plug leads or coil packs removed, is the oil there, or when the plugs are unscrewed are the electrodes caked with the stuff?On overhead cam engines - especially double OHC engines - there is a gasket between the rocker cover and the cylinder head, and failure of this fills the plug wells up with oil.

I'm afraid that I don't know this engine Ellie - but if you mean that the hollows in the cylinder head casting that the plugs drop in to are full of oil, then thats a different thing to cylinder and piston wear.
So - with the plug leads or coil packs removed, is the oil there, or when the plugs are unscrewed are the electrodes caked with the stuff?On overhead cam engines - especially double OHC engines - there is a gasket between the rocker cover and the cylinder head, and failure of this fills the plug wells up with oil.

When the plugs are removed the holes are full of oil, at least a teaspoon in each. The ends of the plugs are caked in burnt oil as well so this has been going on for a while.

Seller sold it as never had a problem with it and fantastic runner, but private sale so probably not going to have any joy there.

I'll see what the mechanic says on Thursday but I think thats the end of it to be honest.

Well ideally the plug electrodes should be dry, and have a light brown coating on them.....anything else isn't good. There must be evidence of oil burning though.
Your garage may carry out a compression test on each cylinder, but this isn't really conclusive....I'd expect to see around 220 psi on each cylinder, and each cylinder should be the same.
The mysterious oil slick outside the house hasn't been explained though.....maybe BP would like to refine the tarmac and sell it back to us :p

I have to say though, this oil using phenomena didn't just occur overnight....the seller surely knew about it. :eek:
J :)

Well ideally the plug electrodes should be dry, and have a light brown coating on them.....anything else isn't good. There must be evidence of oil burning though.
Your garage may carry out a compression test on each cylinder, but this isn't really conclusive....I'd expect to see around 220 psi on each cylinder, and each cylinder should be the same.
The mysterious oil slick outside the house hasn't been explained though.....maybe BP would like to refine the tarmac and sell it back to us :p

I have to say though, this oil using phenomena didn't just occur overnight....the seller surely knew about it. :eek:
J :)

Seller must have known so when the auction stated 'run for 8 months without a problem' and 'fantastic runner' it was completely misdescribed. Doubtful we'll get anywhere with that, but depending what my mechanic says on Thursday it may be worth sticking in a claim through small claims as I can hopefully prove that both his statements were false and there was no way he couldn't have known.

Will update as I go anyway. Sorry to the original poster for hijacking your thread!

Hi, realise that this is quite an old post, but wondering if problem was eventually found? My sons 2007 vw polo. 1.2 would appear to have same problem. Using a lot of oil, but no obvious sign of leak, and no blue smoke or noticed lack of performance...

Sponsored Links
Back