Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a vw polo 9n 52 plate

I bought it with 100,000 on the clock

Done a full service etc.

Now after a month the low oil light came on,
I topped up. After 2 weeks it came back on again

I have topped up over a litre every time.
There are no leaks so i believe it it burning the oil.

Is there anything obvious this could be?
Is this a common problem. If so any fixes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any sign of smoke from the exhaust, especially after going down hills? Could be bore wear or valve stem seals. Don't leave it until the light comes on before you check the oil again or you may completely wreck the engine, light on means little or no oil pressure. A litre isn't enough to refill it if the light is on, have you actually checked the oil level on the dipstick? If its still showing oil it could be that the sensor is faulty.

Peter

This could be one of those cases where oil changes have been skimped in the past - who knows?
As Peter says, monitor the actual consumption over a month and use the dipstick only to do this.
Other than that, check the crankcase breathers for operation (with the oil filler cap off there should be quite a chuff of air (but no smoke)!
John :)

Hi

I have been checking the dipstick.
It is always low when the light come on. So have been topping up until it is midway between the level.

Will now be monitoring it.
However it has happened a few times so definitely a problem

If it is bore wear or valve stem seals is it a expensive job?

Also

"(with the oil filler cap off there should be quite a chuff of air (but no smoke)! "

Do you mean run the engine and take off the cap?

Thanks for the advise appreciate it

Sponsored Links
When the valve stem oil seals are worn, your engine will be puffing out blue smoke on start up, and this will clear shortly after.
This repair usually involves taking the cylinder head off, but on some vehicles the job can be done in situ.
If your engine has cylinder bore wear, my advise would have to be to trade the car on, unfortunately.
John :)

Theres no blue smoke on start up

Hmm i guess your right time to trade her in

:mad:

doesnt make sense to me, with stem seals or ring wear you would expect to see some smoke in the exhaust gas. With stem seals you see smoke upon engine overrun / deceleration and also after a period of idling due to the higher intake manifold vacuum forcing oil past the old intake valve seals into the combustion chamber. With ring wear you can expect to see smoke under normal operation and labouring the engine. Even with a defective cylinder head gasket which is allowing oil into the combustion chamber you would expect to see smoke. Are you sure there isnt a hidden leak, for example the rear crank seal which is leaking into the bell housing? any clutch slippage? is the leaking oil not showing any signs on the driveway because it is being blown and spread around by air rushing underneath the car when driving? What is the condition of the engine coolant in the header tank?

How would i check the condition of the coolant?

Everytime you park up after a drive you can smell the oil

check the coolant by opening the coolant/antifreeze bottle with the engine off and cold.it will have a yellow or orange cap on it which will screw off.

the liquid inside should not be frothy or look like mayonnaise. it should be fluid, and either orange/green/or blue depending what type it has been filled with. some coolants are other colours.

I would think piston ring wear as it is quite common on VW engines. Only thing you can do which will not cost much is to ensure the crankcase is ventilated properly (as already mentioned). A pressure buildup in the oil sump can cause oil usage.
If it is not the vent it will cost money to repair.

Keep the oil at the maximum mark and ensure it is good quality oil and double check that the engine oil was changed?

Checked the coolant its ok
Its pink

I have a feeling it may have not been looked after before i purchased it.

Say it was neglected and a service was not done regularly would these symptoms normally be the result?

Cheers for the reply's

Yes, but worth checking the easy things out before you make a decision.

If not the sump ventilation, you can get a cylinder leakage test carried out. This will tell you for definite where the fault lies. But it all costs money.

doesnt make sense to me, with stem seals or ring wear you would expect to see some smoke in the exhaust gas. With stem seals you see smoke upon engine overrun / deceleration and also after a period of idling due to the higher intake manifold vacuum forcing oil past the old intake valve seals into the combustion chamber. With ring wear you can expect to see smoke under normal operation and labouring the engine. Even with a defective cylinder head gasket which is allowing oil into the combustion chamber you would expect to see smoke. Are you sure there isnt a hidden leak, for example the rear crank seal which is leaking into the bell housing? any clutch slippage? is the leaking oil not showing any signs on the driveway because it is being blown and spread around by air rushing underneath the car when driving? What is the condition of the engine coolant in the header tank?

This is all right.

I have one of these polos, which am selling just now its a mint one but, I ended up putting a timing chain up grade kit on it myself, Just as well as I work on cars like.

I would say 1st, check the oil filter housing is not leaking? This is on the left hand side of the engine at the FRONT of the engine. Normally its a black top on it. Run your finger around it and see if oil is leaking, as you prob wont see this oil leaking as it dripps on the under cover and on the alternator.

If it is this then buy a new oil filter for it and you will get a O ring wi it put this on as well as this is what the prob will be as O ring cracks and oil leaks and this is why you will have low oil prussure. If it is this and you replace the oil filter then MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS LIKE I SAY. Handbrake on un screw the filter cap then take old filter out and and O ring off cap put new O ring on and filter in and then top up oil level; till near at max mark and thenput a good cup to cup and a half down new filter and then put cap on and start it. this is preming the filter as if you dont do this engine could jump teeth.

As this is what happened to my wifes one and light came on and then it made the engine jump a couple of teeth.

I think def an oil leak if its using that much oil but you are saying you are smelling it burn. I would really need to see the car.

But hope this helps.

Paul.

the brother in laws seat burns quite a lot of oil, no leaks or smoke and it performs ok. It does have a small end knock but he just lives with it!

Sponsored Links
Back