Waching machine motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I had a leak in my waching machine afew days ago. The motor got wet so i waited a couple of days for it to dry as the rcd kept tripping. Now the motor does not seem to run, it makes attempts but it has like no power. I dismounted it and the brushes seem ok so i have no idea what else can i do.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a meter?

Does the motor spindle spin freely by hand? With belt on and removed.

Did you have the machine on its side or back? Have you done anything whilst repairing keak, disturbed the connections on the motor or control panel.

hi thanks, the motor seems to turn when i remove the belt but it spins quite fast like out of control for a few seconds. i tilted the machine forwards to have access to the motor that is it? i suspect the leak afected the brushes somehow....?

Spins freely without belt is good but check the brushes are making contact with the motors rotor, if you have a meter check for continuity between the 2 brushes whilst attached to motor still. Sounds like its free wheeling too easily!

With belt on does it easily turn, drum not jammed where you had it laid on its front?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, drum is not jammed. Will check for continuity tomorrow with tester, shall i check between brush - rotor or brush- brush?
the motor starts spinning at normal speed for 2 sec and then speds up like an electric drill.

Disconnect from mains

Test brush to brush.

How do you mean like a drill? Presumably with power to it? Sorry!

Yes the motor is now mounted, i turn the waching machine on with the belt on and the mottor attempts to move the drum but a few seconds later it stops and the dial starts turning. Without the belt on the motor spins very fast for a few seconds and then it stops.

Could be speed sensor on the motor. Try drying out the motor with a hair dryer, might still be damp.
Brushes obviously ok as its spinning.

Have done that but still the motor can not manage to move the empty drum.
The brushes seem to be ok and the axe moves fine so i have no idea what else can it be..........

Are there 2 wires from the end of the motor (opposite end to where the belt connects)?
Check the resistance.

Have you checked all connectors? Perhaps disconnect motor connector and re-connect, you need to remove it for the above test.

What programme is selected, wash, rinse or spin only?
Cancel current programme and select a spin only, try different speeds.

I noticed that the brushes are slightly scratched where they contact the armour and are not shiny as they should be. Perhaps grit went into the motor during the leak and scratched them. is it worth trying to polish them back to their original condition?

Ho do i check the resistance? i have a tester but dont use it normally to test resistance....

Mains plug removed from wall socket.

Disconnect the motor connector, usually attached to the side of the motor, meter set to lowest ohms range ( connect probes to see what reading you get, should be less than 2 ohms) connect each probe to each motor speed sensor connection.
What reading do you get?

Yes you could grind carbon down but make note of the angles, should not be ground flat.

What ohms range are you on?

Is it reading 109 ohms or 10.9 ohms. Either way sounds high or low.

By hand spin the motor, any change in reading?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back