Waching machine motor

It is at the lowest range, not sure about the scale. got same reading when moving motor manually. Have also polish gently the end of the brushes
I have put back the motor and set a different program, belt not attached to drum. The motor spins fine for a few second but when its starts spinning at fast range it starts sparking and stops. i am loosing hope now....

Sponsored Links
There prob will be sparks, depends how badly.

No change in resistance could indicate faulty speed sensor, try spinning as fast as you can, not easy I know.

yes i can see sparks when it happens. will dismount the motor again..just out of curiosity, if the brushes do not contact the armour properly could this be a cause? would it be worth changing them with new ones?

Yes could well be the brushes.

The speed sensor should give a reading of about 40 ohms and change when spinning the spindle.

Sponsored Links
Good morning.
I ordered new brushes in a desesperate move but they are only £5.65 on ebay so not a great loss. I tested again with the tester and got around 110 which moves down to around 70 and then up to 130 when spinning so it seems to work. The brushes are quite scratched so I have a small hope that this can be the problem. Will update later on the week when I recieve the new brushes.
Thanks

Thats good news about the sensor and yes lets hope the brushes sort it out.
I am quite sure you could get a 2nd hand motor on ebay for around £15-20 and the brushed may be needed anyway as its always best to change them.

When brushes arrive they will probably be 'locked' inside the housing so be sure to release them before fitting so that they easily spring back and forth.

Hi I checked and the motors are not that cheap on ebay but my local waching machine second hand spares supplier should have one for a reasonable price if needed. Besides you reach a point where you start thinking it is not worth spending £20 here and there to make an old machine working only to end up having to buy a new one anyway. Will come back. Thanks for you help!

Hi i just changed the brushes and it still have the same sympthoms. Without the belt attached the motor starts spinning very fast and sparks before stopping....

I think it's goosed mate, and needs to go to the great machine scrapyard in the sky.....been down this road before!
John :)

Theres no load on the motor so it will spin much faster without the belt.

Sparking is normal where the brushes contact the rotor, is that where its coming from. Have you fitted them correctly?
If theres something in the motor like broken bits of carbon brushes then that will cause sparks which is not normal.

Reading what you say it sounds like it only sparks just before stopping so you could be right, goosed!

yes with the belt attached it makes attempts to move the drum but it cant then i take off th belt and starts spinning quite fast, sparks and stops. I assume changing the motor with new brushes will not do? shall i bury it in the garden and get a prist to give it the last blessing?

You could test the motor on its own!
If it still sparks and stops you know its naffed.

I will try that. if tou do not hear from me anymore it means that i burned down the bloody thing with a blowtoch.
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back