Wadkin AGS-250-300

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm being offered Wadkin AGS-250-300.
As far as i know its three phase but easily converts to single phase (standard foot mounts?).
Generally its in poor state, sat for a long time in open (but roofed) shed so table is rusty. At least.
Tomorrow going to inspect it more thoroughly, today was too dark to get more than product name plate.
Man selling it is asking 500 quid for it, but i'm worried about potential repair costs. (again, inspecting tomorrow...)

Here are my questions:
1. Pending review after inspection, but is it worth the money if only need to clean it up good/derust? (and convert to one phase)
2. 3ph>1ph conversion - anyone done that ? Could someone take loads of pics of how it looks inside/outside ? What about rest of wiring ? What needs to be replaced ?
3. What bits and pieces have to be on this saw as standard ? Fences, guards, tools etc? Potential to haggle down the price...
4. How's the availability and PRICE of spare parts.

I'm tempted, but reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow after inspection...

Any good advice regarding this saw is very welcome as 500 quid is a lot of money for me at this point...

Sponsored Links
Wadkin are good, medium to heavy duty machines, that give little trouble apart from the odd arbor bearing replacement and drive belts (2 usually) from the motor to the saw arbor.
I guess on how you intend to use the machine really - for employees there will need to be dust and chip extraction (I had to adapt the blade guard with one take off, and enclose the motor with a perspex box, again with a dust take off).
There will also need to be a fence and riving knife and often enough a take off table for handling sheet timber. I was asked to make secure the plates around the saw blade - these are often just hand removed for cleaning and tightening the blade arbor nut.
You'll need a single phase motor of 3hp minimum really, which means it will need the appropriate switch with thermal cut out, and will also need hard wiring.
Thats all the experience I have with these, I'm afraid, expect all of the handles to be stiff and covered in sawdust - all easily put right.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back