Wago 221s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I quite often use ('lever') Wago 222s, particularly for flexible cable conductors (and even more particularly when there are mixed solid and stranded conductors), but when there is limited space fitting several in can sometimes be an issue.

I've just noticed 221, which are markedly smaller but functionally the same. Albeit they are not likely to suffer from 'rough treatment, they look somewhat less 'robust' than 222s, so I wonder whether any of you have experience of them and, if so, what you think about them?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
look somewhat less 'robust' than 222s, so I wonder whether any of you have experience of them and, if so, what you think about them?

I only have limited experience with them, but I was staggered by how much they resist the wire being pulled out. So tiny and easy to cram into a shallow box to extend a ring. You'll prefer them being transparent, too, it's a nice touch.

Cons: They have a great knack of pinching your skin when the orange bit closes!!! They snap shut so viciously!

Top marks from me.

Gaz :)

I only have limited experience with them, but I was staggered by how much they resist the wire being pulled out. So tiny and easy to cram into a shallow box to extend a ring. You'll prefer them being transparent, too, it's a nice touch. .... Top marks from me.
Thanks. It sounds as if I need to get some to play with.
Cons: They have a great knack of pinching your skin when the orange bit closes!!! They snap shut so viciously!
Thanks for the tip :)

Kind Regards, John

I exclusively use 221s now over 222s.

I don’t see any downsides personally, they’re not as thick no, but unless you’re standing on them I don’t think it’s an issue.

The clear plastic is great for seeing how deep your cable is and I find the levers less vicious than the 222s.

The space saving is brilliant

Sponsored Links
Having used both, I have to say I prefer the Ideal connectors (https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-3-port-lever-wire-connectors-24a-pack-of-40/4198g) over the Wagos, for a few reasons:

- Cheaper
- Don't have to lift the lever to insert solid cores
- Transparent so you can check the connection (vs 222)
- Built in "strip this much sheath off" guide
- The lever ones don't nip so savagely as the wagos
- It's easier to open all the levers at once than it is with wagos

The last two may be less of an issue with the 221 (vs the 222)

Last edited:
You missed the fact that 221s (and I think 222s) are rated at 32A, not 24A like the ideal.
Also the ideal connectors are only good to 2.5mm² vs the 4mm² of the 221s

I like the idea of push in for solid connectors, not that I ever find lifting the lever an issue. Wago do make the ones designed for lighting with two push in at one end and a flex connector at the other, forget the model now but they're good too.

Having used both, I have to say I prefer the Ideal connectors ... over the Wagos, for a few reasons: ....
It's obviously a personal thing since, having also used both, I prefer Wagos - and, as Iggifer has said, tehhe 24A rating (rather a bizarre figure to pick!) is a distinct disadvantage.

Kind Regards, John

My 221s arrived today and I have to say that, having played with them a bit, I so far agree with the positive opinions that have been voiced. If these first impressions prove to have been justified, I probably won't be buying 222s any more.

Kind Regards, John

You missed the fact that 221s (and I think 222s) are rated at 32A, not 24A like the ideal.
Ideal do push-only (no lever) 2/3/4 ways that are good for 4mm and 32A - they're demountable by pulling and twisting - not as fast as a lever, but I guess you only really use a lever if you make a mistake

I like the idea of push in for solid connectors, not that I ever find lifting the lever an issue. Wago do make the ones designed for lighting with two push in at one end and a flex connector at the other, forget the model now but they're good too.
Never used those but the dexterity required to loop two x 3 solid cores into the JBs attached to the fire rated tilt downlight fittings, up a crappy set of youngmans on a 3.5 metre ceiling, I seriously wished i'd spent a few evenings on the couch, tossing the JBs out and fitting some of those to the lights instead; it'd have made the ladder work less fiddly for sure

It's obviously a personal thing since, having also used both, I prefer Wagos
Which other make(s) you mean? Wago also do push-wire connectors 773-, 273-, 2273-, 272-

screenshot_1455.jpg
screenshot_1456.jpg
screenshot_1458.jpg
screenshot_1459.jpg

Are those what you're comparing?

My 221s arrived today and I have to say that, having played with them a bit, I so far agree with the positive opinions that have been voiced. If these first impressions prove to have been justified, I probably won't be buying 222s any more.

What you need now is a 3D printer:

f8a4c2b136ac8c07e6e242f1513f0bf8_preview_featured.jpg
d2b5ca33bd970f64a6301fa75ae2eb22_preview_featured.jpg

dd6277c3ef7f3bd494f06fd840eb0b69_preview_featured.JPG

;)

A bit spooky, this topic. A while ago I thought to myself "Maybe I should get a few 222s, 224s & 773s, some Wagoboxes and buttons", I priced up an assortment of 'X of those, Y of these' etc, looked at the £40-50 and had second thoughts.

Yesterday, whilst on a ladder having fun putting 3 x 3C&E, 1 x 3-core flex and 3 singles into the screw connector strip inside a Wiska box I thought "wish I'd bought some of those bl***y Wagos... :mad:".

I might cancel my second thoughts....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back