Wago 221s

I don't think there's any reason for them to continue to make 222s unless the profit margin is greater. Wago's own description of them is
WAGO's 221 Series COMPACT Splicing Connectors for all wire types set new standards. This new series is 40 % smaller and even more user-friendly than its successful predecessor, the 222 Series
So it seems they view them as a direct replacement.

Same cannot be said for the 2273 series over the 773 series (standard push in) as they don't offer a 32A rated in the 2273 to my knowledge. Only the red 3-way 773 is 32A rated but useful for bigger cables/applications.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's any reason for them to continue to make 222s unless the profit margin is greater. Wago's own description of them is ... So it seems they view them as a direct replacement.
Yes, taht seems to correspond with my thinking.
Same cannot be said for the 2273 series over the 773 series (standard push in) as they don't offer a 32A rated in the 2273 to my knowledge.
Indeed, and that seems rather odd.

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure they know what has sold, and what has not sold, since they started making them.

If I had to guess I'd say that a high % of their use is for making changes to socket and lighting circuits, and very few are used for larger things.

6mm²/41A is the biggest they do, and it has 3 ports. Would one ever need more?

I haven't looked to see what they are putting in the 'assortment boxes' now, but if the lever ones are mainly (or only) 222s, then this could possibly be a downside to the 'assortments'.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAGO-Conne...pID=41AlCby43kL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAGO-221As...=UTF8&qid=1511018479&sr=8-6&keywords=wago+221

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wago-60281...=UTF8&qid=1511018479&sr=8-8&keywords=wago+221

And more.

Bound to be some on eBay too.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but all three of those are 'assortments' of just 221s. I was talking about 'general assortments' (at least including both lever and push-in types), many of which I suspect may still contain 222s, rather than 221s.

Kind Regards, John

But if you're not much interested in push-in ones, you could just add a few to the lever selection.

But if you're not much interested in push-in ones, you could just add a few to the lever selection.
I suppose I might 'lose interest' in them, but, as I've said, except when access is non-deal, I still tend to use push-in ones for solid conductors.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but of the three selections of 221s you linked to, only the middle one is cheaper (and that only slightly so) than it would cost to buy the items separately from TLC.

Kind Regards, John

I've not looked at any prices at all, either to compare suppliers or £selection v ∑£individual.

I've not looked at any prices at all, either to compare suppliers or £selection v ∑£individual.
Fair enough, but I've just partially done that for you, anyway. As I said, keep away from at least the first and third of those 'assortments' you linked to, since they would cost you more than buying individual items from TLC (and TLC are rarely teh cheapest).

Kind Regards, John

As an aside - I hope people who use Wago connectors do not do so in inaccessible locations (or, if they do, they do not then claim compliance with BS 7671), because they are not Maintenance Free in the context of 526.3 (vi).
I think the situation continues to be unclear.

However, I don't want to be discussing this aspect in two concurrent threads, so please see my response to your other post which has resurrected the old discussion on this topic - click here .

Kind Regards, John

Pricing logic appears to be illogical.

In the Wago shop, buying a boxed assortment is marginally cheaper than buying the same mix of connectors individually. Looking at QVS it is considerably more.

Pricing logic appears to be illogical. In the Wago shop, buying a boxed assortment is marginally cheaper than buying the same mix of connectors individually. Looking at QVS it is considerably more.
Not an unusual situation, particularly when 'special offers' are involved. We've learned to look very carefully at what supermarkets do with their pricing. For example, we recently noticed a situation in which it was much cheaper to buy 5 x 1 kg bags of sugar than one 5 kg bag!

Caveat emptor!

Kind Regards, John

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but of the three selections of 221s you linked to, only the middle one is cheaper (and that only slightly so) than it would cost to buy the items separately from TLC.
A lot cheaper, actually, when delivery charges are factored in.

Not found a cheaper source, and CBA to put much effort in for the sake of a few quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back