Wago 221s

You missed the fact that 221s (and I think 222s) are rated at 32A, not 24A like the ideal.
Also the ideal connectors are only good to 2.5mm² vs the 4mm² of the 221s
screenshot_1461.jpg

Sponsored Links
Which other make(s) you mean? Wago also do push-wire connectors 773-, 273-, 2273-, 272-
Indeed, and I generally use them for solid conductors.
Are those what you're comparing?
I think you've missed the context of this discussion. My OP was specifically about 'lever' ones, and cjard's comment to which I responded related to his preference for Ideal lever ones over Wago lever ones (222s/221s) - so those two were the "both" to which I referred.

Kind Regards, John

<a datasheet showing that Ideal do push-in connectors rated up to 32A which will take 4mm conductors (which cjard has already pointed out)>
Again, you seem to have missed the context. This discussion, and the comments to which you responded, has been about the 'lever' type Wagos (and Ideal equivalents).

Kind Regards, John

I think you've missed the context of this discussion. My OP was specifically about 'lever' ones, and cjard's comment to which I responded related to his preference for Ideal lever ones over Wago lever ones (222s/221s) - so those two were the "both" to which I referred.
Well, what happened was this exchange:

You missed the fact that 221s (and I think 222s) are rated at 32A, not 24A like the ideal.
Also the ideal connectors are only good to 2.5mm² vs the 4mm² of the 221s

I like the idea of push in for solid connectors, not that I ever find lifting the lever an issue. Wago do make the ones designed for lighting with two push in at one end and a flex connector at the other, forget the model now but they're good too.
It's obviously a personal thing since, having also used both, I prefer Wagos - and, as Iggifer has said, tehhe 24A rating (rather a bizarre figure to pick!) is a distinct disadvantage.
Firstly, it would seem I'm not the only one 'missing a context' - it wasn't cjard who posted about Ideal, it was Iggifer.

Secondly, his use of 'ideal' and not 'Ideal' meant it wasn't obvious that he was talking about a make (and Ideal was not a make I remembered), the only (obvious to me) make he mentioned was Wago.

Thirdly, your "having also used both, I prefer Wagos" immediately followed "I like the idea of push in for solid connectors, not that I ever find lifting the lever an issue. Wago do make the ones designed for lighting with two push in at one end and a flex connector at the other, forget the model now but they're good too" in a post which (at the time) I thought had mentioned no other make than Wago.

So yes, I "missed the context", but I had a little help to do that. ;)

As for the data sheet, as I said 'Ideal' was not a make familiar to me, but I remembered not long ago seeing something about push-wire butt connectors, I Binged for it, and found their site, and forgot (if I ever knew) the precise push vs lever, Ideal vs Wago, 32A vs 24A, 2.5mm² vs 4mm² combinations discussed earlier.

Anyway - a purchase beckons, I think. Anyone want to buy a bumper pick'n'mix box of assorted choc-block strips?:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Firstly, it would seem I'm not the only one 'missing a context' - it wasn't cjard who posted about Ideal, it was Iggifer.
It was cjard who initially posted about (his preference for) Ideal - Iggifer's post you quote was a response to that.
Secondly, his use of 'ideal' and not 'Ideal' meant it wasn't obvious that he was talking about a make (and Ideal was not a make I remembered) ...
Ah, if you weren't familiar with teh Ideal make, then I can understand better how teh confusion arose.
Thirdly, your "having also used both, I prefer Wagos" immediately followed "I like the idea of push in for solid connectors, not that I ever find lifting the lever an issue. Wago do make the ones designed for lighting with two push in at one end and a flex connector at the other, forget the model now but they're good too" ....
Don't you look at quotes (which I include for this very reason)? Although my post did, indeed, chronolgically follow Iggifer's (per what you quote above), I included the quote from cjard to make it very clear (although seemingly not to you :) ) to what I was responding.
Anyway - a purchase beckons, I think.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. As a matter of interest, which make and type (lever/push-in) are you thinking of getting? Whilst the push-ins are fine for solid conductors when one has reasonable access, I have to say that I tend to use lever ones when access is less than ideal, since it can sometimes be quite difficult to do the 'pushing in' (and if one resorts to using pliers, one tends to damage the insulation).

Although I started this thread specifically in relation to 'lever' connectors, there's one point about the push-in ones that I don't think anyone has made. If I've got this right, other than the 773-173 (which is only available as 3-way, and is quite large), the Wago push-ins are all 24A (again, that seems like an odd number!) and 2.5mm² max, whereas Ideal seem to do more for 32A/4mm².

Kind Regards, John

It was cjard who initially posted about (his preference for) Ideal - Iggifer's post you quote was a response to that.

screenshot_1462.jpg

Don't you look at quotes (which I include for this very reason)? Although my post did, indeed, chronolgically follow Iggifer's (per what you quote above), I included the quote from cjard to make it very clear (although seemingly not to you :) ) to what I was responding.

screenshot_1464.jpg

I don't think you'll be disappointed. As a matter of interest, which make and type (lever/push-in) are you thinking of getting? Whilst the push-ins are fine for solid conductors when one has reasonable access, I have to say that I tend to use lever ones when access is less than ideal, since it can sometimes be quite difficult to do the 'pushing in' (and if one resorts to using pliers, one tends to damage the insulation).
Wagos, I expect, and a mix of both types. Possibly bespoke, possibly an off-the-shelf assortment.

Although I started this thread specifically in relation to 'lever' connectors, there's one point about the push-in ones that I don't think anyone has made. If I've got this right, other than the 773-173 (which is only available as 3-way, and is quite large), the Wago push-ins are all 24A (again, that seems like an odd number!) and 2.5mm² max, whereas Ideal seem to do more for 32A/4mm².
I don't know how often I would need something to accommodate >2.5mm², and if I did, would space be major constraint? Also, for how many installation methods is 2.5mm² rated at >24A?

Wagos, I expect, and a mix of both types. Possibly bespoke, possibly an off-the-shelf assortment.
That sounds fair enough.
I don't know how often I would need something to accommodate >2.5mm², and if I did, would space be major constraint?
Like you, I think it unlikely that I would ever want to use one with cable larger than 2.5mm², so it's not really an issue for me. Hoever, I mentioned it because there appeared to be a discussion developing about the pros and cons of Wago and Ideal in general.
Also, for how many installation methods is 2.5mm² rated at >24A?
Very few methods although that is the case for what is probably the most common method (Method C). In any event, I imagine that, in the context of a ring final circuit (probably the most common use of 2.5mm² cable), some would presumably be concerned that, whatever the CCC of the cable, the circuit was protected by a 30/32A OPD. However, it wouldn't worry me personally in the slightest.

However, I'm still rather intrigued by this 24A rating, used by both Wago and Ideal - I wonder where it came from?

Kind Regards, John

In any event, I imagine that, in the context of a ring final circuit (probably the most common use of 2.5mm² cable), some would presumably be concerned that, whatever the CCC of the cable, the circuit was protected by a 30/32A OPD. However, it wouldn't worry me personally in the slightest.
It shouldn't worry anyone except the hard-of-thinking - in a ring final it would only be required to have a current-carrying capacity of 20A.

However, I'm still rather intrigued by this 24A rating, used by both Wago and Ideal - I wonder where it came from?
E24?

It shouldn't worry anyone except the hard-of-thinking - in a ring final it would only be required to have a current-carrying capacity of 20A.
Maybe. Fortunately, at least in this respect, and as I implied, I am not hard-of-thinking.
Not impossible, I suppose - who knows?! However, it still does seem a little odd to me.

Kind Regards, John

I'd suggest one of the assortment boxes to start with. IIRC you posted some time back that they cost more than the connectors in them would, but you get a useful selection to start with - and in an organised box.
By the time you are running low on any connector, I'd imagine that you'll have figured out which ones you are most likely to use. And Screwfix sell them - don't recall how much of a selection, but when I was running out of 2 and 3 way lever types I found their box of 50 was much more economical than buying them in 10s from CPC. Not to mention, if I had run out in the middle of something, it's not far to get them same day over the counter from Screwfix (subject to local stock of course).

I'd suggest one of the assortment boxes to start with. IIRC you posted some time back that they cost more than the connectors in them would, but you get a useful selection to start with - and in an organised box.
I haven't looked to see what they are putting in the 'assortment boxes' now, but if the lever ones are mainly (or only) 222s, then this could possibly be a downside to the 'assortments'.

If my 'extensive experience' (a bit over 24 hours now :) ) of the 221s continues unchanged, then I see no reason to ever buy more 222s once my present stocks are exhausted. My first impression is that 221s are functionally at least as good/satisfactory as 222s, yet are considerably smaller.

Kind Regards, John

This is the selection pack you (read you as I) want!

Only downside is, I’ve only found it listed on euro sites for about €180 but all of my powertool boxes are L-Boxxes

That could be - I have a recollection of doing that comparison, but OTOH I've bought assortment boxes of Reisser screws which have been so much cheaper than buying boxes individually that I now have more than a lifetime's supply of some sizes. Also I need another compartmented storage box like I need holes in my head.

This is the selection pack you (read you as I) want!

Only downside is, I’ve only found it listed on euro sites for about €180 but all of my powertool boxes are L-Boxxes
I was thinking more of the smaller kits http://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-leads-connectors/connectors/connector-kits/prl/results?brand=wago

Answering John, the small boxes CPC sell have the 222 connectors in them. I see on Wago's site that they have larger boxes with 221 connectors - but I think these are likely to be a bit large for DIY use.

Answering John, the small boxes CPC sell have the 222 connectors in them.
That's what I suspected and, as you say, the very large boxes (which do contain 221s) are probably too big for DIYers. However, that presumably might change ....

... in fact, I wonder if the 222s actually have a 'future'. If, as we seem to think here, they do as good a job as 222s but are appreciably smaller, is there any reason why they should continue making and selling 222s? It's not as if there is any serious requirement for them to continue to be available for 'legacy' use, since they aren't on public display when in service, and the 221s are seemingly functionally equivalent.

Am I missing any 'upsides' of 222s or downsides of 221s which might make some people want to continue buying and using the former?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back